Unbeaten start for Clarence
Clarence maintained their unbeaten start to the Weston & District Mixed Bowls League.
AN OUTSTANDING, 21-shot away victory by Bob Rossiter, Mary Davison, Veronica Jones and Martyn Adams helped Clarence maintain their 100 per cent start to the season with a comfortable win over Victoria in the Weston & District Mixed Bowls League.
Adams’s team allowed the opposition to take only two ends as Clarence finished overall winners by 74-36. Clarence’s two home rinks also won, while the other away team were pipped by one.
Clarence rinks (home): Pam Fowler, Elaine Stott, Lucy Oldham, David Stott 16-9; Marlene Woods, Tony Comfort, Jan Bishop, Gerald Barlow 21-10. Away: Bob Rossiter, Mary Davison, Veronica Jones, Martyn Adams 25-4; Alan Bishop, Lesley Phipps, Jim Keay, Mick Edlin 12-13.
Clarence men hold their AGM on Saturday at 10am.
You may also want to watch:
ST ANDREWS won through another round of the Denny Cup against Clevedon Bowling Club.
Both away rinks were evenly matched, the lead fluctuating throughout the game and it was the last end on both rinks that favoured St Andrews, pulling seven shots between them. Tony Steer’s rink picked up a four to finish one shot up, while Don Bailey’s rink picked up a three to draw
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 New leadership team for charity
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
At home, there were mixed fortunes. Gordon Wride’s rink finished with a 19 shot lead, giving Saints a 20 shot lead over the three rinks, but Barrie Forse’s rink were struggling against Pip Branfield, going down by 14 shots, which gave Saints an overall six shot win.
St Andrews hosted a game against Somerset County Patrons which proved to be an excellent game played in the friendliest spirit.
Saints won two of the three rinks, Richard Venn with a 16 shot win and Don Bailey’s rink an eight shot win. The losing rink of Tony Steer went down by one shot.
The mixed friendly against Puriton saw St Andrews outbowled. Irene Hicks’ rink went down by 19 shots and Elizabeth Blight’s rink by 14 shots. The rink of Brian Reeves won by seven shots, Saints losing by 26 shots overall.
St Andrews 82, Clevedon 76 (Denny Plate): K Ugloe, A Yeeles, D Favis, B Forse 12-26; A Owens, G Tofte, B Reeves, G Wride 31-12; A Hyde, R Davey, P Villis, D Bailey 20-20; M Campbell, G Millard, P Aldus, A Steer 19-18.
St Andrews 63, County Patrons 40: M Campbell, G Burgess, J Ling, R Venn 24-8; M Simpson, B McCollum, P Villis, A Steer 18-19; B Roberts, D Price, G Millard, D Bailey 21-13.
St Andrews 42, Puriton 68 (mixed friendly): M Millard, D Cooper, M Berry, I Hicks 9-28; E Reeves, A Greenwood, B Alden, B Reeves 21-14; K Dobney, A Cooper, B McCollum, E Blight 12-26.