United and Athletic teams finish third
Weston United and Athletic both finished in third position in their respective leagues.
WESTON RFC’s United and Athletic teams both achieved third positions in their respective leagues: Somerset Premier and Somerset 2 North.
The United, led by lock Simon Hudson and managed by Stuart Board and David Burge, won 21 of their 26 matches, scoring 374 against 100.
The leading appearances were made by fly-half George Chapman (24), Hudson (23), Harry Nash (20), scrum-half Ollie Trott (19), Troy Hannam and Mike Leahy (18 each), Joe Pullen 16, Ben Cradock (15) and Ollie Caton, Adam Godfrey, David Steele and Tom Wheatley (14 each).
In his first season of senior rugby, Chapman headed the points scorers with 216, which included eight tries, 61 conversions and 18 penalties. The top try scorer was wing Mike McCarthy who touched down 10 times in 13 appearances.
You may also want to watch:
Steele has now played in 235 matches for the United, Burge (153), Hudson (152) and wing Matthew Burns has reached his century.
Grahame Hill’s Athletic won 20 of their 26 matches, scoring 426 points against 99.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 5 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 10 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
Most appearances were made by Dan Prime and Josh Wheeler (21 each), James Tuohy (19), Hill, Chris Ashworth and Robbie Blackborrow (18 each), veteran Laszlo Noszkay (17) and Ben Wheeler and Will Hunt (16 each).
The leading scorer was Prime who touched down 15 tries, together with 19 conversions and six penalties totalling 131 points. Half-back Dan Lomax scored 95 points (six tries, 28 conversions and three penalties).
Other prominent try scorers were Wheeler (12) and Joe McGrath (11).
Skipper Hill has now made 356 appearances for the Athletic team which was expertly managed by Andrew Ballard and the club’s thanks go to Diana Cope for providing these records for their 2nd and 3rd teams.