United earn maximum points on their travels

Weston United earned the maximum five points on their travels to South Bristol.

St Bernadettes OB 19 pts

Weston United 39 pts

Weston travelled to Hengrove to play their South Bristol neighbours and continued their recent good form.

The visitors scored first when Simon Hudson made a break blind and passed to winger Joe McGrath, who sprinted up field before offloading to the supporting Dave Steele to cross in the corner.

Bernadettes scored their only try of the half as their flanker took a quick tap penalty and crashed through some poor defence. Weston were then awarded a string of penalties and Richard Johnston broke blind and passed to Jon Filer, who found winger McGrath to score.

A fine break by Sam Fisher led to the next score, when he offloaded to Loz Ware who looped a pass to Adam Godfrey to cross the line. Ware added the conversion.

Most Read

On the stroke of half-time, Weston secured the try bonus point when McGrath scored his second of the match, also converted by Ware.

At the start of the second half, veteran Paul Sprague was next to score, followed by a try for Sam Light. Bernadettes replied with two tries, one from their own half.

The seventh and final try was scored by Benbobson Fondu following a strong carry by Johnston, who selflessly passed to the winger to score.

This was another maximum five points secured as Weston now move up to third in the league with one game to go.

In the pack, Jake Whatley, Joe Pullen and Richard Johnston all had good games and worked tirelessly. Joe McGrath and full-back Adam Godfrey were the pick of the backs.

Gordano 14 pts

Weston Athletic 57 pts

Athletic travelled to Gordano with a much-changed side and with some last-minute positional changes.

Right from the start, the Weston forwards took the upper hand and after a series of forward drives, Nash muscled his way over after just four minutes of play.

Weston continued to dominate and ran in four more tries in the next 20 minutes as forwards and backs combined to produce some excellent play.

Gordano finally got some possession and scored a converted try, but Weston soon re-asserted themselves with hooker Jake Grimes finishing off a move and scoring under the posts to make the half time score 7-38 in Weston’s favour.

The second half saw Gordano’s defence improve and the game was more even for 20 minutes. Weston scored through centre Alec Hughes’ direct running and Gordano picked up a breakaway try.

Weston regrouped and took control in the last quarter with prop Nash scoring twice to complete his hat-trick. The game finished a few minutes early when Grimes picked up a neck injury.

The injury looked bad and he was attended by first aiders from both clubs until the paramedics arrived. Thankfully he was given the all clear at the BRI later that evening.

Weston’s win leaves them level on points with third placed Oldfield. The side meet next week at Weston in a match which will decide who finishes third and fourth in Somerset 2 North .

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter