United edge home against Winscombe
A late penalty kicked by Chris Young gave Weston United a narrow victory over Winscombe.
Winscombe 10 pts
Weston Utd 13 pts
WESTON United won this top of the table clash against near neighbours Winscombe in a hard-fought encounter.
Weston made a promising start and went ahead in the eighth minute when a blindside break by hooker Dave Burge sent left wing Mike McCarthy away on a 50-metre run to score a great try.
You may also want to watch:
Winscombe hit back straight away with a penalty by full-back Steve Pew, but the visitors increased their lead through a darting break and speedy run by scrum half Seb Harris.
Weston were hampered when prop Tom Wheatley had to leave the field with a broken nose, to be replaced by Harry Nash. With the United scrum creaking, Winscombe drew level after half-an-hour when centre James Flower cut a great line to take a sublime pass from fly-half Dan Salway to go under the sticks.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 5 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 6 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
Pew added the extras and that was how the score stayed until three minutes from the end when centre Chris Young scored the winning penalty after both sides had missed several kickable ones.
Although on the rack in the scrum, United’s defence was outstanding once again and they still looked dangerous in attack on occasions.
Weston Athletic 44 pts
Stothert and Pitt 12 pts
FROM the start of this Tribute Somerset 2 North fixture, Weston took control and their pack were dominant and ran their backs ragged.
Athletic opened the scoring with a 25-metre forward drive and touchdown by Phil Hobbs. Two minutes later, forwards and backs combined and George Gibbs weaved his way through to score in the corner.
He added a second just a few minutes later and Jon Filer scored the bonus point try on 19 minutes, before he scored a second try in the corner. Dan Prime converted from the touchline.
With 25 minutes on the clock and Weston at 27-0 in front, the players were informed that the referee was going to shorten the game to 30 minutes each way.
From the restart, Weston remained dominant with a try from Elliot Monelle two minutes into the second half.
Stothert managed to get some possession and they scored two tries against the run of play. Further tries from Henry Monelle, converted by Filer and Leahy finished off the scoring.
Normal service was resumed by a very disciplined Athletic side and great play saw Henry Monelle touch down for a well deserved try which was converted by Filer.