United enjoy emphatic victory
- Credit: Archant
Weston United returned to winning ways with a emphatic victory over Taunton.
Weston United 47 pts
Taunton 3 pts
UNITED welcomed their Somerset rivals Taunton to the Recreation Ground looking to make amends for the loss against the league leaders the previous week.
Weston opened the scoring following a great driving maul by the pack, second row Ben Cradock splintered off the maul to make the extra yards and found centre Ollie Caton to score the try. George Chapman added the extras.
You may also want to watch:
Taunton kicked their only points of the game after Weston strayed offside at the ruck. Centre Robbie Mackay scored his first of the afternoon as he found himself on the end of a barnstorming run by full-back Nauris Berzins. Chapman again added the conversion.
Mackay was in the action again and it was his classy break that found replacement Jon Filer, who threw an outrageous dummy and passed to Sam Fisher who unselfishly set up Troy Hannam to score. Conversion added by Chapman and Weston went in at the break 21-3 to the good.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 5 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 10 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
Weston started the second half with great urgency and soon the game was put to bed when Berzins went on another strong run and was able to find Caton, who passed to Mackay to score his second of the match. An impressive conversion was added by replacement fly-half Dan Lomax.
Filer found himself on the end of a Lomax grubber kick to score Weston’s fifth try of the afternoon and Lomax added the extras.
It was then Lomax who scored the next try as the energetic Trott took a quick tap penalty as the Taunton defence was caught sleeping. Chapman reappeared to add the conversion.
The last try was then fittingly scored by Fisher as he was part of the Weston pack that worked tirelessly all afternoon, the conversion was missed my Chapman.
Weston Athletic 22 pts
Walcot 10 pts
WESTON Athletic put in a strong performance to complete the double over Walcot by 22-10.
Tries by Ben Wheeler, Josh Wheeler and debutant centre Mitch Salisbury, who impressed in both defence and attack, gave Weston a comfortable lead 17-0 by half-time.
Weston’s forwards were in control and the backs looked effective as they continued to apply pressure in the second half. Veteran No 8 Barry Sparks completed the bonus point try as the Weston pack drove over from a five-metre scrum.
Walcot persevered and defended in a determined way and prevented any further scores from Weston. Walcott scored as the Weston newcomers ran out of steam and sneaked in for a consolation try at the close of play to make the final score slightly flattering at 12-22.
This 15th win from 21 starts leaves Weston third in their league with a 12-point lead over fourth-placed Gordano.