United knocked out of the cup
Clevedon United 0 Bridgwater Town 4 - CLEVEDON United went out of the Somerset Premier Cup when they were beaten by a well drilled Bridgwater Town at the Hand Stadium.
Clevedon United 0
Bridgwater Town 4
CLEVEDON United went out of the Somerset Premier Cup when they were beaten by a well drilled Bridgwater Town at the Hand.
Bridgwater's superior league status and short passing game dominated a United side defending deep in the first half. After six minutes Nat Pepperell seized on a chance after United were unable to clear following a corner and scored at the back post. The lead was extended after 20 minutes following a slick passing move when Steve Orchard made it 2-0.
You may also want to watch:
It became 3-0 after 30 minutes when another set piece corner although initially cleared was converted at close range by Chris Young. Steve Orchard scored his second on 35 minutes after a long ball found him clear to curl his shot past the diving Ben Dancey.
The benchmark was set for United to respond in the second half and defending a higher line they matched their more senior opponents with a display of defensive commitment and attractive free flowing attacking passing moves.
- 1 Somerset holiday park owners urge tourists to use common sense
- 2 Weston couple awarded British Empire Medal for supporting others in pandemic
- 3 Royal Mail reviewing town sorting office closure
- 4 Appeal to find missing teenager Ruben
- 5 Majority of Covid cases in North Somerset caused by Delta variant
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Where is the best fish and chips shop in Weston-super-Mare?
- 8 Somerset has best Covid vaccine rate for both doses
- 9 PICTURES: Clear summer skies and solar eclipse in North Somerset
- 10 Woman dies at Weston cemetery
Both sides had chances to score with United's Adam Grinter, Greg Andrews and Sam Clark going close. Ben Dancey was dominant in the United goal, keeping the Bridgwater attackers at bay earning him the Gordano Carpets man of the match award. An excellent test for the young United side, who can take the experience into consolidating their league position against forthcoming tough opposition.