United lose out in top of the table clash
Weston United lost their unbeaten record in a top of the table clash against Gordano.
Weston United 9 pts
Gordano 22 pts
SOMETHING had to give in this top of the table clash between the league’s two unbeaten sides and sadly for Weston, it was their run of seven wins that would come to an end.
Gordano scored an unconverted try in the first few minutes as they ran the ball from their own 22, but Weston soon took the lead following two penalties by Chapman.
You may also want to watch:
The lead did not last long as Gordano attacked the Weston line and the referee failed to spot a forward pass to the Gordano second row who scored under the posts, which was converted. Chapman converted his third penalty following more ill-discipline by the Gordano pack.
Just before half-time, Weston had the opportunity to score a try of their own, but they ignored a simple two on one and Andrews was held up over the line.
- 1 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 2 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 3 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 4 PICTURES: New Aldi store opens in shopping district
- 5 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 6 FA Cup: Weston AFC cruise past Taunton Town to reach third qualifying round
- 7 Weston chosen as a ‘priority place’ in bid to transform the country through culture
- 8 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 9 Second school site gets approval despite opposition
- 10 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
The second half started in the same fashion as the first, with Gordano scoring a try in the first few minutes with the conversion added.
Weston spent the next 25 minutes in the Gordano half, but frustratingly failed to add any points and will be disappointed as at one point, Gordano had three players in the sin bin. Gordano added a late penalty to see out the game.
Hocking will be happy with his contribution and work rate in the pack as will Andrews, who carried the ball well and Chapman had a solid game in a stuttering back line.