United turn on the style
Weston United romped to a 63-0 victory over Taunton, with Luke Blizzard contributing 33 points.
Weston Utd 63 pts
Taunton 2nd XV 0 pts
A FLURRY of points turns into a blizzard for Weston’s Luke Blizzard as he contributed 33 points with two tries, three penalties and seven conversions in Weston’s win over Taunton.
Weston took to the field with ex-club captain Dave Bird return to the No 2 jersey and regular first teamer Ashley Russell play his first game of the season. Their presence was further complimented by both youth and experience with seven other players who have featured regularly in the first team.
You may also want to watch:
The game started worryingly for Weston as Gallagher was replaced by Caton. As the game progressed, Taunton battled well but growing pressure from Weston resulted in the first of two penalties for Blizzard before he was able to convert his own try in the 26th minute.
The frustration on the back foot showed when a Taunton player received a yellow card, with Weston’s response being a further Blizzard penalty before Disney crossed the line, again converted by Blizzard to provide a half-time lead of 23-0.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 4 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 5 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
- 6 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
- 7 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 8 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 9 Home Bargains store opens after £1million investment
- 10 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
Within a minute of the restart, the uncompromising Morrissey at No 8 provided the first of two tries Blizzard again collecting the extras to stretch the United lead. Reduced to 14 men by a yellow card, the United weathered the storm with Blizzard responding on the hour with his second try, the extras collected in the usual fashion. Team captain Sprague stepped up with the first of his two tries before Down made way for Doughty.
In the closing quarter, both Sprague and Morrissey collected their second tries with the game finishing with a dash to the corner flag from Young for a final try.
In an excellent United performance, Blizzard moved to a preferred centre position and take man of the match award for his individual contribution.