United turn victory into defeat after pressing self-destruct button

Weston United saw Wiveliscombe run in four tries at the end to overturn a winning position into a defeat.

Wiveliscombe 27 pts

Weston United 24 pts

WESTON United lost to Wiveliscombe after conceding four tries in the final 20 minutes of the match.

Wivvy took an early lead converting a penalty kick, but George Chapman replied with two penalties for the visitors.

You may also want to watch:

With only 10 minutes of the half left, Weston kicked to the corner from a penalty and after a good catch and drive, captain James Matthews touched down.

Four minutes later winger Matt Watkins broke away only to be thwarted by a high tackle. Weston kicked to the corner from the penalty and a good take by Rich Johnston enabled the pack to drive Matthews over for his second.

Most Read

On the stroke of half-time Weston were awarded another penalty as Wivvy infringed at the scrum. In a carbon copy of their other two tries, flanker Matthews completed a 10-minute hat-trick.

Unfortunately, Chapman missed all three conversions which would eventually contribute to Weston not winning the game as they led 3-21 at the break.

Chapman slotted his third penalty of the afternoon with 20 minutes left to play, but the visitors decided to press the self-destruct button.

Wivvy scored four tries, two of which they managed to convert to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Weston have only themselves to blame as poor discipline and a lack of fight contributed to this defeat.

On a positive note, centres Kirk Middlemiss and Huw Morgan both had fine afternoons in both attack and defence, but sadly the Weston backs did not see enough ball to trouble their opponents.

Weston Athletic 27 pts

Old Redcliffians 24 pts

THE Athletic fielded a strong side against Old Reds, who matched them in every department and the game was keenly contested.

Despite the Weston scrum being under some pressure, it was the Weston back row who worked well with the backs to produce the first try for skipper Simon Hudson. The try was converted by Dan Prime, who was on hand four minutes later to finish a move that had seen the ball recycled several times.

Mysteriously, the visiting Kiwi referee blew for half-time with just 28 minutes gone and only restarted the game after being challenged by both home and away managers.

Weston might have regretted this as they lost concentration and allowed Old Reds to score twice as the sides were locked at 12-each.

Old Reds took an early lead in the second half, which prompted some substitutions for Weston which heralded their best passage of play. For 25 minutes, Weston were in control, scoring two tries by Arnold and Hudson with a Prime penalty in between, giving the Athletic a 10-point lead.

Old Reds came back strongly in the last 10 minutes and scored a late converted try, but Athletic held on to their slender lead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus