Congresbury lost to Westland Sports, the reigning Somerset Cup holders.
Westland Sports 2
(After extra time)
A WEAKENED Congresbury side were unlucky to lose in extra time to the reigning Somerset Cup holders from Yeovil.
You may also want to watch:
Congresbury started the better of the two sides with the midfield trio of Danny Sprague, Seb Williams and Moe Lister controlling the game. Westlands couldn’t cope with the pacy Congresbury attackers and their keeper kept them in the game with good saves from Ben Marsh and Rob Harroway.
At the other end, Westlands were being restricted to rare counter attacks that were comfortably dealt with by defenders Ollie Clements, Sam Clements, Alex Read and Dan Pepworth.
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Villagers object to 'totally inappropriate' housing proposal
- 3 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 4 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 5 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 6 More than 100 rough sleepers supported during pandemic in North Somerset
- 7 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 8 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 9 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 10 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
Just when it seemed like being goalless at half-time, a superb pass from Sprague sent Marsh clear and he rounded the keeper before being pulled down for a penalty. New signing Ash Brown gave Congresbury a deserved 1-0 half-time lead.
The second half was completely different as Westlands dominated. The visitors equalised from a corner and it finished 1-1 at the end of normal time.
Extra time was largely uneventful with neither side able to impose any sort of control, but following a rare attack Westlands scored from another corner.
Player of the match was Ollie Clements.