Unlucky Seagulls lose opening league game

Weston AFC v Eastbourne

Weston AFC v Eastbourne - Credit: Archant

Spot kick condemns Weston to defeat in season’s curtain raiser.

Weston AFC v Eastbourne

Weston AFC v Eastbourne - Credit: Archant

WESTON were desperately unlucky to lose their opening Skrill South game to a 64th minute penalty. They had created the better scoring chances in a scrappy match, spoilt by 32 free kicks and nine offside decisions.

Three new signings were in the starting line-up for the Seagulls, Jordan Walker, a fullback from Clevedon Town, Ollie Knowles, a central defender from Exeter City, and striker Tristan Plummer, formerly of Bristol City and Hereford United. The club is still waiting on international clearance on Alex Fiddes, who was with Spanish second division side, Lieida Esportiv.

Weston forced the first of nine corners early on and Dayle Grubb fired narrowly across goal. From Eastbourne’s first corner on 11 minutes, skipper Ian Simpemba headed narrowly wide at the far post.

Home keeper Lloyd Irish was called into action on 27 minutes when he came off his line to collect as Darren Lok closed in. Then the visitors fired over the home crossbar after a scramble in the six-yard box.

You may also want to watch:

Weston’s best effort of the half came just before the break when visiting keeper Craig Ross made a superb full-length save to turn Daby Diallo’s pile-driver on to his crossbar and over for another corner.

During the interval, heavy rain fell, and the stadium lights were turned on for the second half, which saw play improve.

Most Read

Plummer was again put through on 59 minutes, but Ross came off his line to concede another corner.

Eastbourne brought on a speedy substitute and he soon burst down the left. As he cut inside he was deemed to have been pushed. From the resultant penalty, Frankie Raymond sent Irish the wrong way from the spot with Eastbourne’s first shot on target.

Minutes later, Levy made another speedy run, but this time Irish came off his line to claim.

As Weston pressed for an equaliser, Kane Ingram’s effort went narrowly over. From Weston’s eighth corner on 76 minutes, Grubb saw his effort beat Ross, but the ball came back off the underside of the woodwork.

However, Eastbourne almost had the last say when, in the final minute, Lok made a speedy run on the left and crossed for Simon Johnson to force a fine reflex save from Irish.

* On Saturday, Weston travel to Havant and Waterlooville, with the party setting out at 10.30am. On Bank Holiday Monday, Weston entertain Basingstoke (3pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter