Uphill A team continue their unbeaten run
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club’s A team remain unbeaten after a derby victory against Wyvern A.
UPHILL Badminton Club’s A team kept up their winning ways away to Wyvern A.
Uphill dominated the match with accurate serving, coupled with finishing which denied Wyvern from taking advantage of many scoring opportunities.
There was a little resistance in the third mixed doubles of the match in which Wyvern’s Jane Burslow and Rob Furlong lost 2-1 to Uphill’s Becky Halfpenny and Mark Edwards 14-21, 21-13, 12-21 as Uphill ran out 9-0 winners.
This extends Uphill A team’s winning run to six matches, remaining unbeaten so far in the league.
You may also want to watch:
Uphill men’s team played at home to league leaders Mendipway, who swept to a 6-0 victory in straight games, outplaying Uphill in all sectors of the courts.
Andrew Mullen, Simon Denton, Chris Ashworth and Adam Feather of Mendipway showed their class on the night.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 7 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 8 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 9 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 10 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
Uphill fielded Dennis Tsang, who represented the club for the first time. Dennis said: “I hadn’t realised how different playing matches was compared to club night badminton, but I really enjoyed my first match.” The rest of the team consisted of Tony Wilsher-Day, Nigel Judge and Ian Gilmore.
Uphill B team played at home in a return fixture against Fry’s B team in a long hard-fought match, as six out of the nine rubbers went to three games, ending in Fry’s winning 7-2, resulting in Uphill’s first loss of the season.
Uphill’s team of Becky Falswaller, Emily Page-Symmonds, Steph Hancock, Robin Curry, Rob Murray and Tom Higgins all played very well in the match. Excellent badminton was played by Higgins, who won his mixed with Hancock and narrowly lost his men’s doubles by the narrowest of margins.