Uphill B team register their first victory
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club’s B team registered their first victory of the season against Clevedon Feathers.
UPHILL Badminton Club’s B, D and men’s A teams have been in league action, with the B team recording their first win in Division 1.
The B team were away against Clevedon Feathers B and won by six rubbers to three. The team consisted of Emily Page-Symonds, Anjam Ajif, Harriett Birt, Matt Potts, Steph Hancocks and Robin Curry.
Uphill started well with Emily & Anjam winning the first rubber. A competitive second mixed saw Harriett and Matt win 25-23 in the third set. Clevedon Feathers won the third mixed.
In the ladies’ rubbers, Emily and Harriett won the first comfortably, as did Harriett and Steph in the third, but Clevedon won the other rubber.
You may also want to watch:
Anjam and Matt won the first men’s rubber and Anjam and Robin followed this up by winning the second. Clevedon Feathers won the final rubber in three games. The only players to win all their rubbers were Uphill’s Anjam and Harriett..
The D team were at home to Winscombe A and lost by seven rubbers to two. The team of captain Jess Hargrave, Sourish Ganapathi, Beth Dunning, Tom Higgins, Ted Woods and Dannie Stone lost all the mixed and ladies’ rubbers in straight games.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 4 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 5 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 6 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 7 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
The first rubber to be won by Uphill was the first men’s when Sourish and Tom won in three. Winscombe won the next rubber in three games before Tom and Ted won the final rubber of the evening in straight games.
The only players to win all their rubbers were Charlie Scott, Juliet Dormer and Clare Laney, Winscombe’s three ladies.
The men’s A team were at home to Wells City A and won by five rubbers to one. The team of Glyn Davis, Brian Hadley, Robin Curry and Paul Wright all played well.
Glyn and Brian won the first rubber in straight games.
In the second rubber, Robin and Paul won in three games, while in the third rubber, Glyn and Robin lost in three.
The fourth and sixth rubbers were won comfortably by the Uphill players in straight games, but Glyn and Paul had to work hard before winning their rubber. The only players to win all their rubbers were Brian and Paul from Uphill.
This friendly club always welcomes both junior (five to 18-year-olds) and senior new members and organises a variety of social events throughout the year. Anyone interested in joining the senior club should visit the website www.uphillbadminton.co.uk or phone Paul Edwards on 07866 946422.
For junior membership, contact Caroline Poole on 01934 418120.