Uphill Badminton Club Player Profiles: The career of long serving member Matthew Cole
- Credit: Archant
One of Uphill Badminton Club’s most loyal and committed players over the last decade has been none other than Matthew Cole.
Cole has been a member of the club for almost 15 years, after first joining through the strength of their club nights whilst still playing league matches for his childhood club Mark Badminton Club.
After taking Mark from Division Six to Division One, Cole joined Uphill for their matches in 2006, before going straight into the club’s A team.
This helped strengthen the defending league champions to continue even more success as he helped the A team win 10 more Division One titles between 2007-2016.
This included an unprecedented 100 per cent season in 2011-12 where he helped the A team win all 10 of their matches 9-0 to achieve the ultimate 110-point campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Cole has also been a fixture in the club’s Bristol Men’s team during their 18-year stay in Division One, mixing it with some of the best county players from the South West.
In 2013, Cole partnered his now wife Christy to Sid Moxon trophy success.The annual mixed tournament was open to pairs from across the Avon and Bristol area and they comfortably beat an established county duo in the final.Cole is also a regular singles player competing against the Somerset restricted champion weekly and led him to be invited to represent Somerset at county level last season.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Contemporary living in a pretty North Somerset village
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Alliance Homes to deliver 40 affordable properties on Somerset housing development
- 5 Restaurant donates meals to key workers, teachers and pupils
- 6 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 7 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 8 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 9 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 10 Mass rollout of Oxford vaccine begins in North Somerset