Uphill battered and bruised
Uphill Badminton Club suffered two heavy losses in the league last week.
UPHILL Badminton Club’s B team took on local rivals Wyvern in a key game between two evenly matched teams.
The three mixed rubbers all went to three games. Robin Curry and Emily Page Symonds were on top form in their first game winning 21-13, before going down in the next two.
Billy Fear and Harriet Birt combined to win the second mixed in three games and in the third mixed, captain Rob Morray and Becky Falwasser were well in control at 12-7 in the third game, before Rob injured his leg and they lost 21-18.
Robin and Billy lost a tight three setter and sadly Rob’s injury resulted in Uphill losing the other two men’s rubbers.
You may also want to watch:
The ladies never quite got going and despite some close games, lost all three rubbers in straight games. This meant the match ended 8-1 to Wyvern, when on a different night the match could have gone either way.
The C team opened their campaign after promotion to Division 2 against a strong Winscombe team.
- 1 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 2 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 3 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 4 Cosmetics company creates candle to raise cash for Weston Hospicecare
- 5 Weston Hospicecare postpones Men's March due to possible lockdown extension
- 6 Community shop seeks new manager
- 7 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 8 Schools advised not to use mass testing as an alternative to isolation
- 9 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 10 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
With several new team members and partnerships, it took the team a while to get going, losing all three mixed, with the closest game being Bethan Dunning and Callum Grayson getting a 22-20 in the first mixed.
The ladies of Winscombe proved too strong, winning all three games, the closest score being Lauren Rickwood and Maureen Matthews getting a 21-17 result.
The men’s produced some close games. Uphill’s young captain Callum Grayson and Billy Fear teamed up to take the first men’s 21-14, 21-17. This proved to be Uphill’s sole success of the night as the next two were lost in two games.
This left the result as 8-1 to Winscombe, with Uphill looking to the next game to get their season going.