Uphill boys capture county titles
- Credit: Archant
Two boys from Uphill Badminton Club claimed winners trophies at the Avon county junior tournament.
A full weekend of Avon county junior badminton tournaments took place at Wellsway School in Keynsham, with Uphill having 13 players competing over four age categories.
In the Under-12 event, Uphill’s Marcus Pam and Vincent Tseung stole the show. Marcus won all his group games and his quarter and semi-final with ease. Vincent similarly cruised through his group before coming through a titanic three-end rubber in his semi to set up an all Uphill final. Marcus won the final 21-11, 21-13 to make it an Uphill one-two.
The two Uphill boys combined in the doubles to sweep aside all before them and claim the trophy.
In the Under-16 event, Zion Chen and Shuo Shuo Jin took part in both the singles and doubles. This was a high quality field and despite some good performances in their singles and doubles boxes, did not make the knockout stages.
You may also want to watch:
In the Under-18 section, Uphill had nine entrants, four girls and five boys. This again was an exceptionally strong category with numerous county players on show, several with senior county experience.
The girls gained valuable experience, Bethany Chadwick claiming fifth in the girls’ singles and Heather Russell fourth.
- 1 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 2 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud
In the doubles, there were just the four pairs, the two county pairs made the final with the Uphill girls battling it out for the bronze medal.
It was Bethany and Lucy Loud who rose to the occasion, beating Heather and Anna Short in two tight games.
In the boy’s event, Uphill’s Harry Gardner, Ben Moore, Dong Hao, Aniraj Sapra and Archit Singhal all put up a good show in both disciplines. Dong was the only player to make the later stages, claiming a bronze medal in the doubles.
With an enhanced list of junior league fixtures this season, all the teams are now well prepared to make a strong attempt to win all four age categories.