Uphill Castle keep league title in their sights
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Castle kept their promotion hopes going with victory over Highbridge Town.
Uphill Castle 4
Highbridge Town 2
This thrilling victory has thrust Anthony Askins and his Uphill Castle charges into the driving seat as they chase a league crown in Division Two West of the Somerset County League.
The home side came flying out of the blocks and had already created a couple of decent opportunities before Sam Beresford’s cross found the head of the unfortunate Mark Henry, who put through his own net.
You may also want to watch:
That lead was doubled 15 minutes later when Beresford netted a stunning volley from the edge of the area. The Castle looked in total control until Highbridge were awarded a penalty, which Sean Burke converted.
The second half was only 10 minutes old when some nervous defending from Highbridge saw Benjamin Harris lash home to make it 3-1. Highbridge reduced the lead almost immediately when Henry’s cross was headed home by Burke.
- 1 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 2 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud
The game was hanging in the balance, but Mike Deane’s excellent set piece was headed home by Jack Askins to make it 4-2.
Town then lost discipline as well as their shape in the last quarter of an hour and had James Roche, Daniel Taylor and manager Nikki Burke sent off, but nothing would detract from what was a superb performance from Uphill Castle.
The man of the match award kindly sponsored by Fusion Takeaway and Oriental Restaurant, went to Michael Deane.