Uphill Castle keep unbeaten record intact

James Bromley.

James Bromley. - Credit: Archant

Uphill Castle Under-16s kept their 100 per cent record with a 3-2 victory over Backwell

UPHILL Castle Under-16s made it nine league wins out of nine with a deserved 3-2 victory in this top of the table clash against Backwell.

Uphill dominated the early stages of the game with Cam Frost and Cam Milkins winning the midfield battle. The first chance of the game came when Jordan Shepherd’s header from a Jamie Borrett free-kick was well saved. Minutes later Jack Edwards saw his shot fly narrowly wide.

Uphill’s defenders Josh Thorne, Sam Calvert, Harry Askins and Borrett were all playing well and protected keeper Josh Skuse. Backwell took the lead, but soon equalised when Thorne’s shot was deflected into the net.

Uphill took the lead just before half-time a superb through ball from Frost sent Edwards clear to score the second.

You may also want to watch:

After the break, Brad Hassells and Kyle Fowler were the Uphill outlets, but the Uphill goal led a charmed life when a goalmouth scramble saw Backwell have four shots blocked.

Backwell equalised when a mix-up in the Uphill defence let a striker run through on goal and he gave keeper Skuse no chance. Minutes later Skuse made an outstanding save to keep the scores level.

Most Read

With a few minutes left, an excellent pass by Milkins sent Edwards clear and he beat the keeper for the winner.

The Old Thatched Cottage joint players of the match were Josh Skuse and Josh Thorne.

The Under-15s were 3-0 down inside 11 minutes against Burnbridge Wanderers, but a couple of substitutions had an immediate effect as James looped the ball over their keeper to reduce the deficit.

With two minutes, Lucas had clawed another one back after Connor’s quick throw was flicked on by James and Lucas hit it home. Tom Stephens made it 3-3 on 31 minutes with a neat finish.

However, all the hard work was undone with poor defending as Burnbridge retook the lead just before the break.

In the second half, it was all Uphill but they could not find the net as the game finished 4-3. Granny George man of the match went to James Bromley

HUTTON Under-10s went into their home game against Cheddar Valley knowing a win would give them their second league title in successive years.

But no-one had given Cheddar the script, forcing a fine reaction save from keeper Jack Buckingham and a clearance off the line by Scott Hammond-Lumber.

Hammonmd-Lumber finally made the breakthrough with a free kick deflected into the goal to make it 1-0 at half-time.

After the break, Tommy Carter went into goal with Jacob Dwyer and captain for the day Owen Janes going up front. They ripped Cheddar apart, with Dwyer providing the perfect ball for Owen to score.

Jude Hankinson, Bailey Hughes and Alex Cremer were fantastic in defence and midfield, while Sid Sheppard Sugg worked well in defence midfield and as a forward at different stages of the game.

Jack Buckingham’s long-distance shot was saved, but he netted the rebound to make the final score 3-0 to wrap up the title.

WESTON Town Under-12s played only their second fixture since before Christmas, but manage to beat Backwell 6-0.

It only took Weston two minutes to take the lead, a short corner from Large found Thomas who fired into the top corner. Weston’s defence of James, Murphy, Sharp and later Manaton took no prisoners with a solid display, aided by Swire in goal.

The central midfield partnership of Pritchet and Thomas constantly hassled Backwell and kept the whole team playing together.

Maidment had his best display this season and Weston’s dominance continued when Bambury found space to score the second. Just before half-time, Weston added a third with the impressive Large crossing for Heal to direct his header past the goalkeeper.

Shortly into the second half it was four as the battling Pritchet won Weston a free kick and Manaton swung in an inviting cross for Large to slide home at the back post.

Weston continued to attack at will and it wasn’t long before another goal came, Pritchet set up Large for the fifth goal, which crashed off the underside of the bar. Manaton nearly scored from the halfway line before Backwell were denied by Swire, who kept his clean sheet with a reaction save.

Heal completed the scoring as he added a sixth before the final whistle. Man of match went to Bambury.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter