Uphill Castle slam seven past Glastonbury

Uphill Castle moved up to third spot after beating Glastonbury 7-2.

Glastonbury 2

Uphill Castle 7

A stunning performance at the Abbey Moor Stadium saw Uphill Castle to a thumping 7-2 victory over Glastonbury and moves Anthony Askins’ men up to third in the table.

A poor start from the visitors saw Glastonbury take the lead, but the Castle where soon level when Michael Deane’s header cannoned back off the bar and was met by a bicycle kick from Samuel Beresford.

You may also want to watch:

Paul Wray put Uphill in front before Beresford increased the advantage with his second of the game. Beresford had another effort disallowed, while Deane saw a shot come back off the bar before Joshua Evans made it 4-1.

Jack Askins brought a save out of the overworked Daniel Taylor, while Daniel Hartley hit the bar prior to the interval.

Most Read

As the second period started, Uphill continued in the ascendancy and it was not long before Askins increased the advantage. Midfield workhorse Benjamin Harris added the sixth, before Milkins set the seal on a virtuoso performance with the seventh.

With time running out, Harry Whittaker pulled a goal back for the Dollies with a free-kick from just outside the area.

The Man of the match award, kindly sponsored by Fusion, went to Cameron Milkins.

This Saturday, the Castle play their first home game of the season when they entertain Burnham United in the group stage of the SCL Premier Division and Division One Cup (3pm).

Worle 2

Kewstoke Lions 2

Honours were even in this local derby, but Worle can feel it was another two points dropped after going 2-0 up early on.

Worle dominated the 90 minutes and should have had the game won in the first-half, but for excellent goalkeeping from Blake in the Kewstoke goal.

Worle went 1-0 up through a Connor Down goal and increased it further when Ryan Down went through and gave Blake no chance with an excellent finish. Just before half-time, Hodrien in the Worle goal, gave away a penalty which Brueford netted to halve the deficit.

Worle started the second half in the same fluent fashion with exciting football, but without managing to increase their lead. Chances came and went and late on it was Kewstoke that broke away with the ball falling to Vowles to equalise.

On Saturday, Worle are in cup action when Tunley are the visitors to the Recreation Ground with a 3pm kick-off.

Winscombe Res 2

Banwell 2

Winscombe Reserves conceded another late goal in drawing with Banwell on Saturday for their fourth consecutive draw.

Playing in heavy rain and strong wind, Winscombe started the stronger, with Rogers and Farmer again dominating the middle and Dancer and Michaels down the flanks pulling the strings for Evans and Brown up top.

Rogers had a couple of efforts before Winscombe scored on 25 minutes when Evans netted.

The back four of Smith, Becker, Milton and Bassett again created a blanket covering for keeper Dakin. It was no surprise that they went 2-0 up when a cross by Dancer was met by the head of the Banwell centre half and under pressure from Brown thundered it past his keeper.

Playing against the wind in the second half, Winscombe were nearly caught napping when a cross shot hit the post. Banwell scored on the hour when poor defence allowed a striker to beat the despairing dive of Dakin.

Banwell equalised with two minutes remaining after a succession of corners, the ball was nodded into the net.

Man of the match was Chris Rogers. The Reserves face a sterner test on Saturday when they travel to Knowle West to play Mendip Broadwalk in the Division 2 Cup.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus