Uphill defeated in final match
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Castle were beaten by four wickets in their final league match.
UPHILL Castle lost their final league game against Wellington by four wickets in a high-scoring match.
Batting first, Uphill posted a respectable 270 all out from their 50 overs. Top scorer was Alex Winn with 50, with other useful contributions coming from Hayden Watts (46), George Cox (40), Seb Winn (31) and Justin Goegan (26).
Uphill’s bowling started well as Cox bowled Davies with his fourth ball and he continued to beat the bat repeatedly and finally put Murdock out of his misery when he managed to edge one to Goegan.
Uphill continued to chip away and reduced Wellington to 127-5 at the halfway stage. Weerawarna came in and crashed 78 from 49 balls, which included 10 fours and two sixes before he was bowled by Chapman.
You may also want to watch:
Weerawarna departed with the score on 229, but the damage had been done and Short (76) saw Wellington home with eight balls to spare.
Specsavers man of the match was George Cox, while Uphill finished the season in fifth position.
- 1 New leadership team for charity
- 2 Sewage emissions report reveals Weston affected by at least 93 sewage spills in the past year
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 5 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 6 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 7 Football stadium set for coronavirus vaccination hub
- 8 Cash and necklaces stolen in Weston-super-Mare burglary
- 9 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
THE seconds travelled to champions Kilve and were defeated by five wickets.
Batting first, Uphill were dismissed for a disappointing 114, with only Andy Llewellyn (11), Tom Oultram (28) and Sam Frost (25) reaching double figures.
In reply, the hosts reached their target for the loss of five wickets, taken by Andy Leech (1-31), James Holt (1-18), Hallam Bickell (1-19) and Frost (2-11).
Specsavers man of the match was Sam Frost.
HAVING secured promotion the previous week Uphill Cavaliers ended their season with a comprehensive 185-run victory over Wedmore 2nds.
Batting first, Uphill made a brisk start with openers Martin Palmer (14) and Paul Kuht (16) putting on 31 inside the first four overs, but the loss of four quick wickets reduced Uphill to 49-4.
However thanks to 34 from Ben Castle and an excellent 41 from Jack Biggs, Uphill were able to reach 161-7 in the 32nd over.
A record-breaking 10th wicket partnership of 93 between Nick Kuht (49 not out) and Mark Patch (34 not out) saw Uphill finish on 254-9.
In reply, Wedmore had no reply to Uphill’s attack, losing a wicket in the first over and were soon reduced to 35-6 with Nick Kuht taking 4-14.
Thanks to Ingle and Wilkinson, Wedmore showed some fight but after the drinks break, the game was all over inside five balls with Ewen Kennedy taking four wickets in as many balls to dismiss Wedmore for 69.