Uphill edge part one of summer double header
Uphill Badminton Club’s first team defeated Clevedon Feathers 6-3 in the first leg of a friendly summer double header.
THE first part of a two-match double header took part between Uphill and Clevedon Feathers, the two premier clubs in the North Somerset area.
Uphill first team consisting of Emily Hollis, Paul Edwards, Sharon Quantick, Mark Edwards, Teresa Lloyd and Robin Curry all played well and came out 6-3 winners.
Uphill’s first pair of Emily and Paul won their mixed comfortably, with the following two rubbers were shared, with Sharon and Mark losing out to Nicola Wall and Roger Lanning, before Teresa and Robin came through to win an equally close rubber.
Uphill took both the first two ladies, with Emily looking particularly dominant, before Clevedon hit back with Nicola and Vicky Gigg beating Sharon and Teresa.
You may also want to watch:
The men’s continued the theme of close games. Paul and Mark started strongly beating Jason Reading and Roger Lanning.
The next two rubbers were shared, with Mark and Robin winning in three, before Clevedon took the last rubber of the match to end an enjoyable night’s badminton.
- 1 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 2 Council tax set to rise in North Somerset
- 3 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 4 Attempted robbery prompts police appeal
- 5 Weston woman celebrates a century
- 6 Council reveals cost for new primary school
- 7 Chef with Michelin star experience shares 'ultimate winters seafood' recipe
- 8 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 9 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 10 North Somerset Council urges businesses to apply for grant funding
The second team of Tom Higgins, Billy Fear, Luke Morgan, Bill Ponting, Caroline Higgins and Dannie Stone all performed strongly, coming out 7-2 winners against their Clevedon counterparts.
This format was adjusted to accommodate four men and two women, being four men’s doubles, four mixed doubles and one ladies’.
Uphill started strongly with Tom and Caroline beating Brian Rickwood and Bethan Dunning. Uphill continued their strong start winning the next three mixed rubbers in straight games.
Clevedon hit back with guest ladies Bethan and Jess Hargrave defeating Caroline and Dannie.
The men’s doubles followed the pattern of Uphill dominance, with three further rubbers being won in two games. Clevedon did take the final men’s rubber with Rickwood and Ian Coles beating Tom and Luke in three.
The away leg is due next month to aid both club’s preparation for the coming winter season.