Uphill increase pressure on leaders
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Castle were held to a draw by Worle, but gained ground on the league leaders.
Uphill Castle 1
With leaders 1610 Taunton United losing at home to Nailsea United, Anthony Askins’ Uphill Castle increased the pressure on the pacesetters in Division Two West of the Somerset County League.
Having endured an enforced lay-off of over a month due to the weather conditions, the visitors started on the front foot and were first to threaten after two minutes when Jack Askins broke clear, only to be denied by the home keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Uphill went on to have the better chances in the first 20 minutes with Jordan Elliott and Paul Wray going close and Askins, Benjamin Harris and Michael Deane winning the midfield battle and dictating the tempo of the game.
The home side began to get a foothold in proceedings and it took an excellent save from Luke Bryant to keep the Castle on level terms.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 5 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 10 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
Uphill’s back line superbly marshalled by James Hodgkinson and new signing Daniel Hartley work harded to keep their side in contention as the half-time whistle blew with the game scoreless.
With little between the teams, the second period seemed to be heading for the same stalemate, but just past the midway point, Oliver Clements netted from 25 yards for Worle.
With 10 minutes remaining, good work by Wray saw him cross to Askins to steer a superb header into the far corner to put the sides level.
The man of the match award kindly sponsored by Fusion, went to James Hodgkinson.