Uphill men win North Somerset title
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club men’s A team won the North Somerset Division 1 trophy after drawing with nearest rivals Winscombe.
UPHILL Badminton Club had the men’s A and the junior Under-15 and 17 league teams in action last week.
The men’s A team drew 3-3 with contenders and now runners-up Winscombe, to win the men’s North Somerset Division 1 trophy with a game in hand.
The team of Carl Harrison, Neil Sandifer, Ian Gilmore and Paul Wright all played well in this competitive match against a good Winscombe team lead by ex-Uphill and Avon County junior Matt Heal.
Winscombe got off to a good start when Heal and Olly Dormer beat Carl and Neil. Uphill hit back, with first Ian and Paul winning and then Carl and Ian winning. Winscombe immediately responded as first Dormer and Dave Heal and then father and son, Matt and Dave Heal won to give Winscombe a 3-2.
You may also want to watch:
The last and deciding rubber was a real nailbiter between Neil and Ian and Dormer and Chris Homer. The first two games were shared. Then with everything to play for, Neil and Ian won the third game 21-11, to end a good evening’s badminton with honours even. The only person to win all his rubbers was Ian Gilmore from Uphill.
The Uphill junior badminton club Under-15 and Under-18 Avon Badminton League teams were in action against Yate Racketeers at Brimsham Green.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 7 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 10 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
The teams consist of four players who each play one singles rubber and three doubles rubbers, with the number of games won by the team determining the final result.
The Under-18 team included two players under 13 who played well for their age. The team consisted of Luke Morgan (captain), Will Bennett, Beth Dunning and Dan Corbett.
Morgan did well and led the team to a 16-6 win. The Uphill team started well by winning three of the singles matches by six games to two. Uphill also dominated the doubles with only Will and Dan (both under 15) losing the last doubles. The only players to win all their rubbers were Luke and Beth.
The Under-15 team consisted of Ryan Collins, Sam Hedges, James Jeremiah and Dong Hao who all played well and won their match 18-6.
In the first singles, Ryan came up against Ryan Mason and despite working hard eventually lost 13-15, 12-15. That however, was Yate’s only winning rubber, as the next three singles were all won in straight games.
Although four of the six doubles were competitive and went to three games, Uphill came out top on all of them. The only players to win all their rubbers were Sam, James and Dong from Uphill.