Uphill move clear at the top
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club’s A team are on course to retain their Division 1 league title.
UPHILL Badminton Club only had one team in league action last week, with the A team away to Clevedon Feathers B.
The team of Ellie Jewell, Paul Edwards, Christy Langford, Matt Cole, Becky Halfpenny and captain Mark Edwards all played well and ran out winners by nine rubbers to nil.
Despite the scoreline, this was a competitive match in which Uphill were made to work hard for their victory.
The only rubber of the night to go to three games was the second mixed in which captain Olly Powers with partner Emma Bailey made Christy and Matt fight for every point before the Uphill pair ran out winners 25-23, 19-21, 21-17.
You may also want to watch:
Special mention should go to Emma Bailey of Clevedon who looks a good prospect and is sure to cause many teams problems.
At the halfway stage of the season, Uphill A have amassed 51 points out of a possible 55 from their five games, and are nine points clear of closest rivals Clevedon Feathers A and looking well set in pursuit of their 10th consecutive Division 1 league title.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 5 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 6 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 7 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 10 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.