Uphill off the mark with solid victory
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club’s B team got off the mark with victory at Clevedon Feathers.
AFTER a tough start to the season, Uphill Badminton Club’s B team got off the mark with a solid 6-3 victory away to Clevedon Feathers B.
Despite missing captain Rob Morray, the boys were in fine form with Robin Curry, Billy Fear and Callum Grayson taking the three men’s rubbers. Harriet Birt teamed up with Emily Page-Symonds and Rebecca Falwasser to win her two rubbers. The third mixed was won by Callum and Becky to round off a good 6-3 win.
Callum was man of the match winning all three of his rubbers.
Uphill Under-16s kicked off their league campaign in fine style with an 8-2 win over Yate Racketeers. The Uphill team of Jack Rickwood, Archit Singhal, Ben Moore and Anna Collins all played well and came out as worthy winners.
You may also want to watch:
Uphill got off to a good start with Jack, Archit and Anna all winning their singles in two straight games. The only loss came when Ben went down 15-8, 8-15, 14-15.
The doubles produced some close games, notably the one and two doubles, where Jack and Archit went to three before winning 14-15, 15-9, 15-12.
- 1 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 7 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 10 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
The final doubles of the day was another thriller involving Ben, with Archit and Ben losing out 15-9, 13-15, 14-15. This left Uphill as 8-2 winners in a friendly and enjoyable encounter with a good Yate team.
Players of the match were Jack and Anna, who won all four of their rubbers.
With Yate not being able to send an Under-18 side, Uphill hosted its own six-a-side friendly. Team Ryan: Ryan Collins, Rhys Davies, James Jeremiah, Alice Brett, Lauren Rickwood and Bethany Chadwick
Team Harry: Harry Gardner, Aniraj Sapra, Dong Hao, Heather Russell and Lucy Loud,
After the singles, Team Harry took a 8-4 lead, with Harry, Miles and Dong victorious for Team Harry, and just Lauren for Team Ryan. James, Ani, Bethany and Lucy all shared their singles one each.
The doubles was a different story, with lots of close games and long rallies the slightly older and more experienced Team Ryan hit back and took the doubles element 19-11.
This left the match result as 23-19 to Team Ryan after a mammoth 42 games in two hours.