Uphill’s junior team registers first victory
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club’s D team registered their first victory of the season.
AFTER two narrow 5-4 losses, the Uphill Badminton Club junior D team got their first win of the season away to Avonvale.
The ladies of Lauren Rickwood, Anna Collins and Georgia Wood led the way winning all their three rubbers in two games.
Avonvale hit back winning the opening two men’s rubbers, firstly Tom Miller and Ryan Collins went down, before Tom andRhys Davies both lost out in three games.
Avonvale took the first and second mixed to go 4-3 up, but the third mixed was won by Georgia and Rhys to leave the match tantilisingly poised at four each.
You may also want to watch:
Ryan and Rhys led the team to victory under pressure winning in two to give the team their first victory.
Georgia was player of the match winning all three of her rubbers in her first match of the season.
- 1 CNM Estates purchase Birnbeck Pier with new company
- 2 Thatchers search online for cidermakers
- 3 Villagers object to 'totally inappropriate' housing proposal
- 4 More than 100 rough sleepers supported during pandemic in North Somerset
- 5 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 6 Weston accountant sees business thrive during lockdowns
- 7 Worle opticians wins award
- 8 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
- 9 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 10 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
Uphill men’s team hosted new club to the league Academy, who up until this match had not lost a single rubber.
This was a competitive match with three of the rubbers going to three games and six games having a 19 or higher scoreline.
Star of the night was Zakir Hussain, winning first his rubber with captain Bill Ponting 16-21, 22-20, 21-18 and his final rubber with Paul Wright 21-19, 19-21, 21-16.
This left Academy 4-2 winners on the night and leaves the men’s team in a solid second position going into the festive break.