Uphill slip up at Clevedon
Uphill Badminton Club suffered two disappointing results in the North Somerset League.
UPHILL Badminton Club C team and men’s team both had disappointing results last week.
The C team were away to Clevedon and lost by six rubbers to three. Four of the rubbers went to three games, with Clevedon winning three of them and a further rubber won by Clevedon had a 24-22 game in it.
The Uphill team consisted of Glyn Davis, Julie O’Sullivan, Matthew Valentine, Maureen Matthews, Neil Burstow and captain Fiona Singleton who all played well.
The evening started poorly for Uphill as they lost the first two mixed, but Fiona and Neil fought back to win the third mixed decisively 21-12, 21-15.
You may also want to watch:
Julie and Maureen then struggled against Grizelda Williams and Angela Griffiths in the first ladies’ rubber, losing 7-21, 13-21. The next two ladies’ rubbers both went to three games before being won by Clevedon.
The first men’s rubber went to three before Glyn and Matthew lost 12-21, 22-20, 12-21. Neil and Glyn then won convincingly 21-16, 21-12 and finally Neil and Matthew won 21-15, 13-21, 21-9 to complete an enjoyable evening’s badminton.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 8 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 9 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 10 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
For Uphill, Neil Burstow won all his rubbers, as did Grizelda Williams and Angela Griffiths for Clevedon.
The men’s team were at home to Wells City B and lost by one rubber to five.
The team of Paul Wright, Fred Brown, Nigel Judge and captain Bill Ponting all gave a good account of themselves, but were well beaten by a better team.
Paul and Bill were the only players to win a rubber and save the team from a whitewash when they beat Spencer and Jack of Wells 21-16, 21-15. Captain Bill also featured with Fred and Nigel in the only two rubbers that went to three games.
? NORTH Somerset Badminton Mixed League Division 1: Clevedon Feathers A 6 Wyvern A 3; Frys A 0, Uphill A 9; Nailsea&Backwell A 3, Wyvern A 6.
Division 2: Wyvern B 4, Uphill B 5; Pill A 3, Frys B 6; Nailsea&Yatton A 3, Uphill B 6.
Division 3: Clevedon 7, Wyvern C 2; Clevedon Feathers C 2, Uphill C 7; Winscombe 2, Chew Valley A 7; Clevedon 6, Uphill C 3.
Division 4: Wells City 7, Redwood Lodge 2; Mark 2, Pill B 7.
Division 5: Wedmore 6, Portishead B 3; Chew Valley B 3, Uphill E 6; Nailsea&Backwell C 9, Avon Vale 0; Chew Valley B 4, Wedmore 5; Clevedon Feathers D 9, Portishead B 0.
Men’s League: Wells City A 4, Wells City B 2; Uphill 1, Mendipway 5; Winscombe 0, Mendipway 6; Uphill 1, Wells City B 5.