Uphill team yet to lose a rubber
Uphill Badminton Club’s A team have won the North Somerset Mixed League with a game to spare.
UPHILL Badminton Club’s A and D teams were in winning action this week.
The A team, playing its penultimate match of the season were at home to Clevedon A who are second in Division 1 and won by nine rubbers to nil.
The team of Becky Matthews, Paul Edwards, Nicky Mills (captain), Mark Edwards, Christy Langford and Matt Cole have this season played nine matches and won them all by 9-0 and in doing so have won the Division 1 with a game to spare.
Despite the fact that all the games were competitive and produced some excellent rallies, all the rubbers were won in straight games.
You may also want to watch:
The Uphill A team has not been beaten by any club in the North Somerset League Division 1 since November 2008, and have been league champions for the last eight consecutive seasons.
The D team were at home to Mark and won by seven rubbers to two. The team consisted of Ellen Davis, Carl Harrison, Caroline Higgins, Billy Fear, Felicity Pritchard and Callum Grayson who all played well.
- 1 Rapid coronavirus tests offered to people in North Somerset
- 2 Family fundraising to create care packages for NHS nursing staff looking after their daughter
- 3 More support needed from Government for pubs to survive
- 4 Pump track project appeals for further community support
- 5 Council seeks photographer for heritage project
- 6 New hope in third lockdown due to vaccine
- 7 Families urged to access free school meals in lockdown
- 8 Vacant care home to be transformed into seafront flats
- 9 Have your say on health services in Somerset
- 10 Free workshops to raise awareness of seasonal affective disorder
The match got off to a good start for Uphill by winning the first three mixed rubbers and followed this up by winning the first ladies’ rubber. Mark then hit back by winning the next two ladies’ rubbers.
The Uphill men then proved too strong for their opposition winning all three men’s rubbers, with all but one game, to single figures. The players to win all their rubbers were Carl, Billy and Callum from Uphill.
? NORTH Somerset Badminton Mixed League Division 1: Clevedon Feathers B 4, Nailsea&Backwell A 5.
Division 2: Nailsea&Yatton A 2, Pill A 7; Portishead A 3, Frys B 6.
Division 4: Uphill D 3, Nailsea&Backwell B 6; Redwood Lodge 2, Wells City 7; Pill B 7, Nailsea&Yatton B 2.
Division 5: Avon Vale 0, Nailsea&Backwell C 9; Wedmore 4, Chew Valley B 5.