Uphill teams back to winning ways
- Credit: Archant
Two Uphill Badminton Club teams were in action last week, both in winning form.
UPHILL Badminton Club’s C and E teams were in action last week with both winning.
The C team were at home to Wells City in Division 3 and won by seven rubbers to two. The team had both Brian Hadley and Matthew Valentine missing and consisted of Julie O’Sullivan, Carl Harrison, Fiona Singleton, Billy Fear, Maureen Mathews and Glyn Davis.
Uphill got off to a good start by winning all the mixed rubbers in straight games, but the Wells City ladies hit back by winning the first two ladies’ rubbers, which both went to three games. Fiona and Maureen then won the third ladies rubber.
Uphill won all three men’s rubbers, despite the first going to three games and the third being won by Billy and Glyn 21-15, 23-21. The only players to win all their rubbers were Carl, Billy and Glyn from Uphill.
You may also want to watch:
The E team, in Division 5 of the North Somerset League, were at home to Mark, who they lost 8-1 to at the start of the season. This time they won a close match by five rubbers to four.
This very young team of Harrison Whitehouse, Lauren Rickwood, Rowan Weekes, Beth Dunning, Luke Morgan (captain) and Chloe Palmer are now showing considerable improvement and becoming far more confident in their play.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Call for action to reduce rising infection rates in secondary schools
- 5 Airport to receive £8million grant to 'protect jobs'
- 6 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 7 Hospital trust defends patient-to-nurses ratio increase
- 8 Temporary traffic lights set to be installed in main road for three weeks
- 9 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 10 North Somerset could join WECA - but faces a four-year wait
In the first mixed, Harrison and Lauren played well before eventually being beaten 21-17, 22-20. Rowan and Beth lost their first game 19-21, but came back to win the next two. Luke and Chloe, who was only playing her second senior match, performed well to win the third mixed.
Mark won all the ladies’ rubbers in straight games despite the big improvement shown by the Uphill girls. The Uphill boys rounded off the match by winning all the men’s rubbers comfortably in straight games.
Elaine Coward of Mark and Harrison, Rowan and Luke from Uphill won all their rubbers.