Uphill triumph in derby encounter
Uphill Badminton Club’s league teams won two out of three matches last week.
UPHILL Badminton Club’s A, B and E teams were in action with the A and B teams whitewashing their opponents and the E team losing.
The A team had a local derby match at home to Wyvern A and the team of Paul Edwards, Matt Cole, Mark Edwards (captain), Ellie Jewell, Christy Langford and Becky Halfpenny won 9-0.
All the mixed and men’s rubbers were won comfortably in straight games, with the second men’s conceded due to a knee injury to Steve Wilson.
The first ladies’ rubbers was also won easily when Ellie and Christy beat Jane Watson and Louise Malik, but the Wyvern ladies made a fight in the second and third ladies’ rubbers with Jane Watson and Rachel Amos losing to Ellie and Becky in three. In the final ladies’ rubber, Christy and Becky beat Louise and Rachel, also in three.
You may also want to watch:
The B team were away to Pill A won 9-0. With five of the rubbers going to three games and a further two having close games, the result on another occasion may well have been closer.
The team of Emily Page-Symonds, Anjam Ajif, Harriet Birt, Robin Curry, Steph Hadley and captain Rob Morray all played well and showed great tenacity to win a competitive match.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 4 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
The evening started well for Uphill with Emily and Anjam winning the first mixed rubber comfortably, but Pill fought hard in the next mixed rubber before losing to Harriet and Robin. In the final mixed rubber, Steph and Rob had to pull out all the stops to win in three.
All the ladies matches went to three with Uphill winning all three thanks to the dogged determination of all the ladies. The first and third men’s were won comfortably in straight games, but in the second game, Anjam and Rob had to fight hard before winning in three.
The B team have now played four matches and are top of the second division with 42 points having only dropped two points.
The E team in Division 5 were at home to Avon Vale and were disappointed to lose a close match by 5-4. The team was captained by Luke Morgan together with Abbi Rickwood, Harrison Whitehouse, Lauren Rickwood, Rowan Weekes and Chloe Palmer, playing her first match in the league.
In the first mixed, Luke and Abbi lost a competitive rubber 16-21, 19-21. In the second mixed,Lauren and Harrison played well together to win 21-14, 21-14.
The Uphill performance of the evening came in the third mixed rubber when Rowen and Chloe won 21-10, 21-6. The Rickwood sisters, Abbi and Lauren, played well to win the first ladies’ rubber, but the Avon Vale ladies hit back winning the next two rubbers in straight games.
This left the match at three rubbers each and all to play for. The first men’s rubber saw Luke and Harrison lose in three. Avon Vale also won the second rubber in three, before Harrison and Rowen won the final rubber to complete a competitive match.
Uphill E (back, left to right): Harrison, Luke and Rowan. Front: Lauren, Abbi and Chloe.