Uphill youngsters clinch national bronze medals
- Credit: Archant
Uphill Badminton Club Under-16s earned bronze medals at the National Badminton League finals day at Milton Keynes.
Having just won the Avon Junior Under-16 League, Uphill Badminton Club qualified for the National Badminton League finals day.
The team had a fantastic day and represented the whole club superbly at the National Badminton Centre in Milton Keynes.
After a hotly-contested day of matches, they came home with a bronze medal each after four wins and two agonising 3-2 losses.
In the group stages, Uphill started with a comprehensive 4-1 victory against Wolves Community Trust, before an agonising defeat against eventual winners Swifts, only going down 3-2, with Dong Hao losing out 7-9, 8-9 in the singles decider.
You may also want to watch:
An even closer match followed against Kestevens, again losing out 3-2 with both Dong and Bethany losing in third game deciders in their singles. Uphill bounced back with two emphatic wins, 5-0 v Stoke FC and a 3-2 win over Wigan FC.
It was a fantastic effort from Anna Short, Bethany Chadwick, Lucy Loud, Tom Miller, Harry Gardner and Dong Hao. All six players were a credit to the club and coach Mark Edwards and the whole club is proud of their achievements.
- 1 Gates to be replaced as work continues to reopen Marine Lake
- 2 Man left with 'significant facial injury' following assault in Weston
- 3 Disruption to school transport due to driver shortage
- 4 Weston's four-day Oktoberfest to begin next week
- 5 Council issues advice after collapse of energy companies
- 6 North Somerset runners get ready for London Marathon
- 7 Procession held at beach memorial to give thanks to NHS
- 8 Family-run business opens new tile and paving showroom
- 9 Go Again complete sponsored walk from Ashton Gate to Optima
- 10 Luxurious three-bedroom house overlooking Weston seafront
The results took the team into a third place play-off against Wolves. With the two singles and doubles being shared, it all came down to Harry and Lucy.
With the tension at its highest, the young Uphill duo coolly despatched their opponents with ease 9-4, 9-5 to clinch the bronze medal and end a memorable day. The bronze medals were presented by Olympic silver medallist Gail Emms MBE
Thanks go to Badminton England for putting on quite an event for all the young players. With referees, umpires, photographer and electronic scoreboards, they made it a special day for all the children who took part.