Uphill youngsters register two cup victories
Uphill Castle youngsters recorded two cup victories over Congresbury and Long Ashton.
UPHILL Castle Under-15s entertained Congresbury in the North Somerset Youth Cricket League Harry Secombe Cup.
Congresbury captain Sam Kearns led the way scoring 39 and was assisted in achieving their total of 73-9 off 18 overs by Cameron Harding who scored 16.
For Uphill, both Archit Singhal (2-0-6-2) and Kruz Belcher (2-0-4-3) missed out on hat-trick balls.
In reply, Uphill captain Kieran Chapman took his new responsibilities seriously scoring 46 not out and although Matthew Davis did not score any runs they shared a valuable 60-run partnership.
You may also want to watch:
The partnership was broken by Oliver Hampson (3-1-12-2) having a double wicket maiden in the penultimate over leaving Uphill on 70-4. Chapman and Tommy Llewellyn (3 not out) saw Uphill (74-4) to victory with two balls to spare.
The Under-13s travelled to Long Ashton in the Ken Barrington Cup. This game was played in damp and miserable conditions, but was dominated by Uphill Castle.
- 1 Second rapid testing centre unveiled in Weston
- 2 Man charged in connection with county lines drug dealing in Weston
- 3 Civic society 'appalled' by new health centre proposed site
- 4 Secondary school to expand to second site expected to cost £30million
- 5 Virus 'ripping through' Weston care homes
- 6 Pharmacy near Weston begins Covid vaccinations
- 7 Council says it is aware of rat problem in Weston
- 8 Mike begins monumental challenge for Weston-super-Mare causes
- 9 Dog falls off side of Brean Down
- 10 Teenager charged with dangerous driving following collision which injured three people
Openers, Kruz Belcher (58 not out) and Joe Statham (16), who shared a 88-run partnership, with the later getting out with just two balls to go in the reduced 16-over game. Captain Tommy Llewellyn (1 not out) joined Belcher to see Uphill to an impressive 90-1.
The result never looked in doubt as a great team fielding and bowling display from Uphill restricted Long Ashton to 38-3 off their 16 overs. Tom Biggs claimed the first wicket as Bradley Patch caught Charlie Shaw-Tracey for 10.
Long Ashton’s other two wickets fell to Belcher who had a double wicket maiden to finish the game, thanks to a good stumping by Sonny Carr, together with a caught and bowled. Both Will Durston and Matthew Tanner (2-0-7-0) impressed in the field on their club debuts for Uphill.
ALL the senior games were cancelled due to rain, which means the 1st XI will travel to Stapleton on Sunday in the first round of the National Village Knockout Cup.
Anyone interested in playing for this friendly club are asked to attend training sessions held at the ground on Wednesday (Under-11s to 15s), Friday (Under-17s) and seniors on Tuesday, all starting at 6.30pm.
For further details about the club, go to www.uphillcastlecc.co.uk