Vanessa is Cheddar Tennis Club’s most improved junior
- Credit: Archant
Cheddar Tennis Club member Vanessa Brill has been voted the club’s most improved junior player for 2014.
VANESSA Brill, aged 17, has been voted Cheddar Tennis Club’s most improved junior player for 2014.
Vanessa, who is studying for A-Levels at Kings of Wessex Academy, has been one of the club’s star juniors for several years, but 2014 was particularly good for her.
At the club, she was a key member of the ladies’ A team which won the North Somerset League, she reached the semi-finals of the Under-18 county singles at Taunton and she has become a regular member of the Somerset county ladies’ team.
Although Vanessa now trains with the county squad, her love for the game grew at Cheddar, where she spent most of her time as a younger teenager.
In presenting the trophy, club chair Jennie Colton congratulated her on the award and paid tribute to the hard work and commitment she had shown to improving her tennis over many years.
The club’s regular tennis coaching courses are restarting after the Christmas break under new head coach Stephen Pearce.
- 1 Two cases of Omicron Covid variant in Somerset after PARTY, say officials
- 2 Convicted murderer to appeal against sentence - claiming media footage ‘impeded’ fair trial
- 3 Rural 12-acre plot to be developed
- 4 Eight people hit with fines for public space breaches in Weston
- 5 Weston nursing home revs up for Rosa Ferrari's 100th birthday celebrations
- 6 50 arrests made in SIX DAYS after launch of Christmas drink-driving campaign
- 7 ELECTION: Labour announce Weston Central ward candidate
- 8 Elderly couple targeted by distraction burglars
- 9 Band to fundraise for Weston General radio station
- 10 Storm Barra expected to bring high winds to South West
Mini red sessions on Fridays will be indoors at Cheddar First School, with all other sessions at the club as usual. Stephen is also starting cardio tennis on Wednesday evenings - 6.30pm for juniors and 7.30pm for adults. This combines a fun fitness work out with tennis skills.
There is also a new Tennis Xpress course at 8.30pm on Wednesdays for adult beginners and improvers wanting to pick up skills quickly.
For more information call Stephen Pearce on 07904 061301 or visit www.cheddartennisclub.co.uk