Victory moves Cheddar up the league table
Cheddar recorded another victory to move up to eighth spot in the league.
Cheddar Valley 25 pts
Frome 3rd XV 5 pts
After a winning performance at home against Wiveliscombe last week, Cheddar registered another victory against Frome.
Cheddar started well and the breakthrough came within the first 10 minutes with Cheddar’s forwards producing a catch and drive from a line-out, with Brett Diver crashing over the line for his third try in two weeks.
You may also want to watch:
It was the backs who produced the next try with Tom Monks sucking in the Frome midfield, producing an overlap for Dom Bush to score an unconverted try in the corner.
Cheddar continued to attack but Frome’s defence stood their ground. With the last play of the half, Brad Worthington slotted over a penalty for a 13-0 advantage going into the second half.
- 1 Doctor resigns from Weston General Hospital's A&E department
- 2 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 3 Girl, 11, suffers serious injuries after collision with car
- 4 Calls to scrap housing plan to create "people's forest" in Weston
- 5 Mural nears completion in Weston
- 6 Christmas panto cancelled due to tier three restrictions
- 7 Which services will be open and closed during tier three in North Somerset?
- 8 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 9 Lockdown chef launches cook-along YouTube channel
- 10 Weston College principal receives award on BBC television show
Both teams came out firing in the second half with Frome pushing to get back into the match. Cheddar’s defence stayed solid with some strong tackling from Kyran Gale and Tom Corbett.
It was Frome who scored next however, with Cheddar’s defence being pulled in narrow and some good hands by Frome saw them score in the corner.
At 13-5, Cheddar upped their play an extra gear. Mark Pilgrim with a show and go, cut through Frome’s midfield and offloaded to James Lawrence to dummy past the full-back and score under the posts, Worthington securing the extra two points.
The bonus point was awarded when the ball came to prop Chris Panayi 10 yards out and he set up Pilgrim to bundle over the line for the fourth try of the game.
The win puts Cheddar in eighth in the league and gives them the momentum they need for their match on Saturday at home to Morganians.