Vipers edge through
C & C Vipers defeat Totterdown C 5-4 in the first round of the Archdale Cup.
THE first round of the Archdale Cup started this week with C & C Vipers having a close run first match in Group B versus Totterdown C.
Bill Atkinson (-1) had to work hard to sweep away Gary Chell (11), Rick Cross (10) and Mark Price (10), despite their points advantage. Mark Price beat Neil Kirsopp (0) and Jade Cope (8).
Chell and Cross with one each gave Totterdown four points. Vipers’ Jade Cope and Neil Kirsopp also won one each giving Vipers the winning 5-4 score.
Last season’s cup winners Vets A started against club mates Vets C. Colin Lewis (2) played with dogged determination to get all three. Gary Evry (10) played well for the C’s to pick up two points against Roger Crump (2) and Ann Sandford (5).
You may also want to watch:
Sandford was lucky with the net against Mark Treasure (11) winning in three. Vets C’s Tony Chedgy, despite reaching 80 recently played well, attacking on both back and forehands, but was unfortunate not to pick up a point.
Winsc Warriors won their first match 6-3 against a two-man C & C Banwell B team. The two Banwell youngsters won two points, Jack Brent (14) beating Pete Joiner (13) and Cath Smith (15). Banwell’s Alex Chandler (16) had a close set to overcome Cath in three games.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 3 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 New leadership team for charity
- 7 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 10 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
In Division 1, Walton Wanderers were held to a draw by Vets A after a hard- fought match. Wanderers’ Mike Harris with three struggled to beat Pete Butterworth 11-8 in the fifth, but had an easier time against Roger Crump and Ann Sandford.
In a match of long and close rallies, Wanderers were in the lead at the doubles. Butterworth and Crump proved superior, winning in four against Harris and Dave Grounsell to level five each.
In Division 2, Vets C found Totterdown C in fine form, especially veteran Bert Hiscock who beat Roger Norvill and Len Noble in three and Gary Evry in five close games.
Gary Evry had five strenuous games against Mark Price, the last going to 23-21. Evry and Price had a winning doubles, but the match went to Totterdown C 24-12.
Winsc Warriors’ greater experience let them beat the young Banwell A team by 30-5. Hannah Cope gave Anne Baker a run for her money pushing hard 13-15 in the fifth game. Joe Gomm took games from Baker and John Cook.
Both Rich Parker and Phil Yates of Winsc Wayfarers won their singles, but had to work hard against Banwell B’s Alex Chandler and Jack Brent, both taking games from the Wayfarers. Brent beat Dave Parker in four. Wayfarers won 28-8.