Visionary route tackled by the Wheelers
- Credit: Archant
A challenging route around the lanes of Somerset was devised by Weston Wheeler Andy Bemand.
Weston Wheelers latest ride was created by route design visionary Andy Bemand.
Starting from their normal meeting point at Priory School, the riders headed out of Weston via Ebdon and Wick St Lawrence to Hewish and going past Puxton Park to the first climb of the day, up Banwell Road through Hutton.
Turning left at the hospital, the riders headed out of Weston towards Lympsham and the second climb, Brent Knoll. Cycling into a strong headwind, they struggled across the levels though Wedmore to Rodney Stoke.
Next came the big challenge, a category four climb from Rodney over the Mendips to Charterhouse, taking a welcome break at the top of the climb, enjoying the fantastic views across the levels towards Glastonbury Tor.
You may also want to watch:
During the ride back down the Mendips, the cyclists encountered the Sommer Valley Sportive with hundreds of riders competing. The final leg was a fantastic descent down Burrington Combe and returning to Weston via Banwell and Puxton.
The ride totalled 58 miles, climbing 2000ft at an average speed of 15mph. Big thanks go to Andy B, Paul G, Andy P, Dave H, Ben, Andy J, Greg, Pete, Dave T and a big welcome to new rider Neil.
- 1 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 2 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Two charged with burglary and fraud
The club is currently taking on new members and meet at 9am on Sundays and 6pm Wednesdays at Priory School.