Visitors dominate at Cheddar
Visiting tennis player dominated proceedings at Cheddar Tennis Club’s open singles tournament.
FORTY boys aged from 10 to 16 took part in Cheddar Tennis Club’s four day open singles tournament during half-term.
Players came from all over the West Country, with some from much further afield. As this was a county level grade 4 LTA event, the standard of play was high and there were many excellent matches, including some extremely close and hard-fought finals.
Local boys Kieran Davies and Charlie Beake both put in good performances in the Under-16 age group, but it was the visitors who largely dominated the tournament.
In the Under-10 event, Joseph Nicholson from Surrey narrowly defeated Avon’s Dominic Boardman in an epic encounter.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew Harrison, who recently moved to Somerset from New Zealand, won the round robin Under-12 group and the Under-14 final was an all-Welsh affair, with Callum Findlay pipping Thomas Davies to the title.
At Under-16 level, classy left-hander James Wagstaff from Gloucester came from a set down to beat Avon’s Gregor Bates in a nail-biting three setter.
- 1 Changes to bus services in Weston
- 2 Pub nominated for pub of the year in national awards
- 3 New school welcomes its first pupils
- 4 Ed Sheeran announces huge UK tour
- 5 Poignant artwork installed on Weston beach
- 6 Fine food and drink on offer at biggest ever eat:Weston festival
- 7 Number of homes in major development could be reduced as amended plans submitted
- 8 New restaurant named Hospitality Hero by Mercury readers
- 9 North Somerset's garden waste service to resume with collections every four weeks
- 10 Plan to build £30million second school site approved
Cheddar Tennis Club resumes regular club tennis with group coaching for mini red players moving indoors at Cheddar First School on Fridays, 3.30-4pm for years 0 to 1 and 4-4.45pm for years 2 and 3.
Mini orange (5.15pm), green (6.15pm) and yellow ball (7.15pm) classes will continue as usual on the courts at Sharpham Road. For more information contact Lynne Cornish on 01934 750402.
Tournament results – Under-10: Joseph Nicholson (Surrey) bt Dominic Boardman (Avon) 4-1, 5-4; Under-12: Matthew Harrison (Somerset), runner-up Peter Alam (Lancashire. Under-14: Callum Findlay (South Wales) bt Thomas Davies (South Wales) 4-2, 4-1; Under-16: James Wagstaff (Gloucester) bt Gregor Bates (Avon) 5-7, 7-6, 1-0 (10-1).