Visitors dominate at Cheddar
Visiting tennis player dominated proceedings at Cheddar Tennis Club’s open singles tournament.
FORTY boys aged from 10 to 16 took part in Cheddar Tennis Club’s four day open singles tournament during half-term.
Players came from all over the West Country, with some from much further afield. As this was a county level grade 4 LTA event, the standard of play was high and there were many excellent matches, including some extremely close and hard-fought finals.
Local boys Kieran Davies and Charlie Beake both put in good performances in the Under-16 age group, but it was the visitors who largely dominated the tournament.
In the Under-10 event, Joseph Nicholson from Surrey narrowly defeated Avon’s Dominic Boardman in an epic encounter.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew Harrison, who recently moved to Somerset from New Zealand, won the round robin Under-12 group and the Under-14 final was an all-Welsh affair, with Callum Findlay pipping Thomas Davies to the title.
At Under-16 level, classy left-hander James Wagstaff from Gloucester came from a set down to beat Avon’s Gregor Bates in a nail-biting three setter.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 3 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 4 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 5 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 6 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 7 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 'Bright future' for Weston high street
- 10 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
Cheddar Tennis Club resumes regular club tennis with group coaching for mini red players moving indoors at Cheddar First School on Fridays, 3.30-4pm for years 0 to 1 and 4-4.45pm for years 2 and 3.
Mini orange (5.15pm), green (6.15pm) and yellow ball (7.15pm) classes will continue as usual on the courts at Sharpham Road. For more information contact Lynne Cornish on 01934 750402.
Tournament results – Under-10: Joseph Nicholson (Surrey) bt Dominic Boardman (Avon) 4-1, 5-4; Under-12: Matthew Harrison (Somerset), runner-up Peter Alam (Lancashire. Under-14: Callum Findlay (South Wales) bt Thomas Davies (South Wales) 4-2, 4-1; Under-16: James Wagstaff (Gloucester) bt Gregor Bates (Avon) 5-7, 7-6, 1-0 (10-1).