Vital victory for Castle
Uphill Castle gained an important victory away at Westlands.
UPHILL CASTLE travelled to Yeovil where they gained a vital three wicket win against Westlands.
Uphill won the toss and asked Westlands to bat, and had success with the first ball of the game as the movement found off the pitch by George Cox resulted in Hallam being caught by Rob Tasker off a leading edge.
Cox and Simon Webster bowled well in tandem causing Westlands problems with the moving ball, reducing Westlands to 25-2 when Davis played on to Cox. Gundry and Ewens got their heads down and put on 87 for the third wicket before Ewens was well caught by Kieran Ward off Marcus Bail for 50.
Bail found spin to bowl Gundry round his legs, Ward followed up his catch with an excellent piece of fielding to run out Cook, leaving Westlands on 119-5.
You may also want to watch:
Uphill kept the pressure on Westlands and with the score on 150-8 were in the box seat, but a flurry from McCabe and Reeves managed to get Westlands to 193 before they were all out in the 50th over.
Uphill lost both Williams and Belcher and at 29-2 were in trouble. A third wicket stand between Tasker and Alex Winn turned things around as the pair out on 93 in 17 overs, with Tasker especially being brutal with anything short.
- 1 PICTURES: Princess Anne visits Weston-super-Mare
- 2 Record fuel prices pose health threat for Weston parent
- 3 Large-scale offshore rig to be built at Weston's Tropicana next year as part of UK-wide project
- 4 Primary school wins a second award for its focus on pupils’ mental wellbeing
- 5 North Somerset Covid case rate at its highest
- 6 North Somerset risks 43,000 false-negative PCRs after lab mix up
- 7 Claim for judicial review delays school expansion for vulnerable children
- 8 Cheddar 'pump track' approved and new facility could be in place next year
- 9 Bristol and Weston NHS charities merge under new name
- 10 Weston pub to undergo renovations to restore 19th century look
The loss of Tasker with the score on 122 signalled a mini collapse as Watts followed next ball and then Oultram holed out to a full toss leaving Uphill on 126-5, a mirror image of Westlands innings.
Dave Bickell stayed with Winn and took the score to 152 before he was bowled, quickly followed by Cox, leaving Uphill on 156-7 and the game was in the balance.
Winn (71 not out) and Bail (10 not out) were under huge pressure, but they took the game by the scruff of the neck and guided the side home in the 44th over with a mature seventh wicket partnership of 39.
Winn played his best innings to date, finishing the game with a large six over mid-off. His innings contained nine fours and two sixes and was rightfully Beachlands Hotel man of the match.
N Hallam c Tasker b Cox 0
C Gundry b Bail 44
M Davis b Cox 5
S Ewens c Ward b Bail 50
H Boucher c Ward b Bail 10
J Cook run out 0
N Bond lbw Tasker 9
T Lee c Bail b Cox 10
D McCabe not out 22
J Reeves c Winn b Ward 19
A Lock st Watts b Ward 0
Bowling: G Cox 10-2-26-3; S Webster 9-0-35-0; A Winn 4-0-16-0; K Ward 6.4-0-50-2; M Bail 10-030-3; R Tasker 10-2-33-1.
G Williams c Reeves b Bond 5
A Belcher lbw Davis 22
R Tasker c Reeve b Gundry 52
A Winn not out 71
H Watts b Gundry 0
T Oultram c Bond b Gundry 0
D Bickell b McCabe 13
G Cox b Boucher 1
M Bail not out 10
Total (7 wkts) 195