Walking football team play at Wembley
- Credit: Archant
Weston walking football team took part in a tournament at Wembley, organised by the National League Trust.
Weston walking football team went to Wembley to take part in a tournament organised by the National League Trust for teams in The National League, National League North, and National League South (levels 5 and 6 of the football pyramid).
Twelve teams entered into two groups of six, with the top two in each group going through to the cup competition and the third and fourth position teams going into the Plate competition.
Weston lost to Wealdstone and Brackley Town, but victories over Margate and Stockport County Yellows meant a third place finish and entry into the Plate competition.
A win of 4-2 against Stockport County Blues resulted in Weston reaching the final, but then lost 3-0 to Eastbourne Borough.
You may also want to watch:
Goalkeeper Ian Neilson, was named player of the tournament (as chosen by the two referees)
Next for Weston are the south west regional finals of the national over-60s competition against teams from Bournemouth, Wiltshire and Cirencester, the winners going forward to play the regional winners from the Midlands, South East, North West, and North East.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 3 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 4 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 5 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 6 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 7 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 8 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
The club also havs a northern tour at the end of September and are due to play the walking football teams of Accrington Stanley, Preston North End and Blackburn Rovers. The Accrington Stanley game will be played on the pitch at half-time during the League 2 match against Mansfield Town on September 27.
The walking football has been under the guidance of community manager Geoff Stevens with input from first team players Dayle Grubb and Syd Camper, and even assistant manager Mark McKeever has recently been involved.