Waterskiers in action at Lyme Regis
- Credit: Archant
Weston Bay Watersports Club members took part in the second round of the National Waterski Racing Championships.
WESTON Bay Watersports Club members John Grimes, Simon Dowling and Chris Preece all attended the second round of the National Waterski Racing Championships in Lyme Regis.
The main race of 50 minutes was to be held first, where Simon Dowling and team Bedlam were competing in Formula 3 and Chris Preece skiing behind in Team Hammered in Formula 2.
After a short delay at the start, the flags went down and the race began, Chris and Barry Gibson (from Hunstanton) were the only skiers not to make their first pull.
With Steve Benny driving and Chris Godwin observing, they did a fantastic job to make up time and Chris managed to make up a few places due to fallen skiers. However, on the offshore leg coming back, Chris also took a fall.
You may also want to watch:
Simon Dowling and Team Bedlam had a great start battling through the extremely difficult conditions in the smallest boat in the field. Simon managed to retain his lead despite several falls throughout the 50 minutes.
Team Hammered fell a couple more times during the race, with only the winning Formula 2 skier not taking a fall out of all the competitors, placing Chris and the team ninth.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 5 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 6 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 7 Cancer specialist offers tips on mental wellbeing during lockdown
- 8 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 9 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 10 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
The skiers now have a few weeks off until their next race in Scotland at the end of the month. However, Weston Bay Watersports Club will be holding a fun event in the bay over the weekend of May 18-19, so pop down an watch the action.