Waterskiers in action at Lyme Regis
- Credit: Archant
Weston Bay Watersports Club members took part in the second round of the National Waterski Racing Championships.
WESTON Bay Watersports Club members John Grimes, Simon Dowling and Chris Preece all attended the second round of the National Waterski Racing Championships in Lyme Regis.
The main race of 50 minutes was to be held first, where Simon Dowling and team Bedlam were competing in Formula 3 and Chris Preece skiing behind in Team Hammered in Formula 2.
After a short delay at the start, the flags went down and the race began, Chris and Barry Gibson (from Hunstanton) were the only skiers not to make their first pull.
With Steve Benny driving and Chris Godwin observing, they did a fantastic job to make up time and Chris managed to make up a few places due to fallen skiers. However, on the offshore leg coming back, Chris also took a fall.
You may also want to watch:
Simon Dowling and Team Bedlam had a great start battling through the extremely difficult conditions in the smallest boat in the field. Simon managed to retain his lead despite several falls throughout the 50 minutes.
Team Hammered fell a couple more times during the race, with only the winning Formula 2 skier not taking a fall out of all the competitors, placing Chris and the team ninth.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 4 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 5 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 6 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 7 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Man charged with possession of offensive weapon in village
- 10 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
The skiers now have a few weeks off until their next race in Scotland at the end of the month. However, Weston Bay Watersports Club will be holding a fun event in the bay over the weekend of May 18-19, so pop down an watch the action.