Wayne hits his top break

BILLIARDS - PRIDE of place this week in the Wrington Vale Billiards League goes to Consti Zimmers skipper Wayne Ticer who hit his highest ever league break, 41.

PRIDE of place this week in the Wrington Vale Billiards League goes to Consti Zimmers skipper Wayne Ticer who hit his highest ever league break, 41, in his defeat of Pete Wood in their match against Backwell A.

That was the limit of their success as the visitors went away with a 3-1 win courtesy of a 16-point win by Martyn Howell over Russell Ticer and Alan Spear's success by 47 over Wayne.

The opening match in the Lindrums-Frames Rejects between Geoff Passmore and John Holtby was merely the starter for what was to follow. Neither player could string a significant break together and Geoff took it eventually by 36.

Matt Northern then took on Ian Green with both players playing steady without really hitting top form. The game was nip and tuck right up until both players needed 10 points and then Ian got the rub of the green and just edged out Matt by seven.

You may also want to watch:

With Rejects only having two players, it fell to Ian to play again and for the majority of the frame Adrian Smith was on the back foot with an excellent display of potting by Ian, the first frame giving him the confidence to pot from just about anywhere on the table.

When he needed only 25 points to win, Adrian was spurred to change his game tactically and nerves, combined with Ian's inability to finish the game off was enough for Adrian to mount a miraculous comeback which started with a 24 break and then a succession of high teen breaks. A nice timely fluke by Ian put him a single point away from victory with Adrian still needing ten. But nerves again got the better of Ian and while trying to run the white slowly to double baulk he hit it too soft and the ball never reached the target. That was all Adrian needed to finish the match and win by a single point.

Most Read

Backwell B failed to take their chances against Congresbury Qs and went down 3-1. George Rowe played excellently in the early part of his game against Reuben Hurse, keeping Reuben at arms length most of the way until Reuben picked up the challenge towards the end to win by a single point, the first time he had been ahead in the game.

Tony Berry hit back for Backwell in the next game against Dave Larner and kept in front the whole way to win by 39. Bob Selby took over with enough of a lead which should have enabled him to secure the bonus, but he found Irving Prowse in inspired form. Irving hit two 20 breaks and this added to a number of extremely tactically well-played flukes gave him a 64 point win.

Breaks: Wayne Ticer 41; Martyn Howell 27; Adrian Smith 24; Irving Prowse 21, 20; Tony Berry 20.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus