Weakened Seagulls crash again

Hayes & Yeading 3 Weston-s-Mare 0 - WESTON'S decimated squad were further handicapped by injury as they crashed at Church Road.

Hayes & Yeading 3Weston-s-Mare 0WESTON'S decimated squad were further handicapped by injury as they crashed at Church Road.Going into the game without Scott Partridge and Craig Rand, they lost Ben Willshire and Tom Evans for the second time in successive games, and to make matters worse, skipper Adi Harris was shown a red card for dissent, which means he will miss the final game of the season at Chelmsford.If that was not enough, striker Manny Williams, whom they hoped would play after injury, had been recalled by Woking to help in their survival battle from the Premier Division.Against promotion play-off hopefuls, Weston did well for the first 30 or so minutes, pulling 10 men behind the ball as Hayes threatened and preventing a clear shot on target.The home side showed their intention on four minutes when pacey striker Josh Scott broke clear, but Ryan Northmore, coming well outside his penalty area, did enough to put him off and the keeper was back on his line to claim a weak shot.As Weston attacked, Marc McGregor was over from Ben Wells' sixth-minute free kick, and three minutes later, Wells' dipping free just cleared the home crossbar.Weston lost Willshire on 38 minutes, Jack Compton, back after missing three games, taking over. Compton went wide on the left and Scott Bartlett moved into defence, but a minute later it all went wrong.Scott was put into space by Will Hendry and his pace took him out of reach of the defence and he easily beat Northmore. A minute later it got even worse as Steve Gregory's effort hit the inside of a post and was hacked away only as far at Staforde Palmer who fired into the far corner.For the second half, Ashan Holgate replaced Matt Groves, but Hayes struck again on 50 minutes when Northmore went full-length to deny Palmer, but Scott was on hand to knock in his second of the game.Evans, who was having a solid game, limped off on 69 minutes, teenager Mark Armstrong coming on and he gave a sound display against tricky opposition. Skipper Harris was shown a second yellow card for dissent with 15 minutes left, but Weston managed to last out.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter