Weakened Weston put up a brave fight
Weston travelled to Chelmsford City with a weakened squad and gave a spirited performance, eventually going down 3-2.
CHELMSFORD CITY 3
WESTON’S weakened squad put in a sterling performance against third-placed Chelmsford in a rearranged Blue Square South fixture.
The Seagulls were without suspended Kane Ingram, injured Jak Martin and Marcus Duharty, while Jamie Price and skipper Ben Kirk were unavailable. Jake Mawford and Jack Camm of the under-19 squad were on the bench.
You may also want to watch:
Chelmsford dominated from start with Ricky Modeste and Craig Parker making speedy inroads down the flanks, but keeper Lloyd Irish was well protected by central defenders Matt Villis and Jamie Laird.
Weston’s Sahr Kabba was proving a handful to the home defence and in a breakaway on 26 minutes his rising shot struck the outside of an upright before going behind. However, he did better on 39 minutes when just inside the home half he was put through by Ben Cleverley, outstripped the defence and rounded keeper Stuart Searle before tapping into the empty net for his 11th goal of the season.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 3 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 4 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 5 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 6 Appeal for Christmas gifts for elderly and isolated
- 7 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 8 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 9 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 10 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
On 59 minutes, Brett Trowbridge was yellow carded for a foul and from the 25-yard free kick skipper David Rainford equalised with a shot that took a deflection.
Chelmsford began to dominate after that and they took the lead on 66 minutes when substitute Alex Osborn scythed through the Weston defence and crossed for Kezie Ibe to beat Irish.
Weston had Nabi Diallo, on as an emergency defender, sent off for a second bookable offence on 84 minutes and on 90 minutes Chelmsford’s new signing Warren Whitley finished a strong run by scoring the third.
A minute into added on time Kabba was tripped in the penalty area and Nat Pepperell converted the penalty for his 10th strike of the campaign
Goals: Chelmsford, Rainford (59), Ibe (66), Whitley (90). Weston, Kabba (39), Pepperell (90+1, penalty).
Shots on target: Chelmsford 4, Weston 3.
Shots off target: Chelmsford 4, Weston 2.
Corners: Chelmsford 3, Weston 2.
Offsides: Chelmsford 3, Weston 2.
Free kicks conceded: Chelmsford 7, Weston 16.
Referee: Paul Harris. Upset both benches with some of his decisions.
Bookings: Chelmsford: Modeste. Weston, Diallo (2 yellow), Young, Trowbridge.
Weston squad: Irish, Young, Slocombe, Cleverley, Villis, Laird, Grubb (Camm 87), Diallo, Trowbridge, Pepperell.