Weare School win mini tennis tournament
- Credit: Archant
Weare Academy First School enjoyed considerable success at this year’s Cheddar Valley cluster schools tennis tournament.
Weare Academy First School swept the board at this year’s Cheddar Valley cluster schools tennis tournament for years three and four children.
Held at Cheddar Tennis Club and organised by the club’s head coach Stephen Pearce, the event attracted 14 teams representing four local first schools, each team comprising two boys and two girls.
Sixteen mini tennis courts were set up and volunteers from the club supervised mini red singles matches, initially in a round robin format, with the group winners progressing to the knockout stages.
From then on, Weare School dominated, finishing first (Weare A), second (Weare B) third (Weare D) and fifth (Weare C), much to the delight of their teacher Lisa Henry.
You may also want to watch:
The winning team was presented with a shield and there were individual medals for the winners and runners-up. There were also certificates for everyone who took part in the tournament.
Following this event, Cheddar Tennis Club is holding an open day on Saturday at their courts at Sharpham Road playing fields. Everyone is invited to come along and have a hit and find out about all the opportunities for tennis at the club.
- 1 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 2 'Bright future' for Weston high street
- 3 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 4 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 8 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 9 175th anniversary of Weston Cricket Club book by Roger Webber to shortly be released
- 10 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
The morning is for children, mini tennis from 9.30-10.45am for those aged four to 10 years and yellow ball from 11am-12.30pm for ages 11-16-years-old. There is a session for adults in the afternoon from 2-4pm.
The coach will be running fun drills and demonstrating tennis skills. All abilities are welcome, from complete beginners to the more experienced. All equipment will be provided, just wear trainers and sports clothes.
There are discounts for new members joining over the weekend. No need to book, just turn up on the day. For more information contact chairman Jennie Colton 01934 742703 or Stephen Pearce 07904 061301 or www.cheddartennisclub.co.uk