Wedmore on tour
Isle of Wedmore Bowls Club enjoyed a successful trip to the Algarve for its latest bowls tour.
ISLE of Wedmore Bowls Club members made a welcome return to the Algarve for its bowls tour.
Twenty-seven members left Bristol for Arma�ao de Pera, which proved to be a popular destination as Clevedon Promenade and Clarence Park were also touring in the area.
The first game was played at San Antonio in Alvor and as a new green had recently been laid, nets were laid on the green. In difficult conditions, Wedmore won on two rinks and lost five.
The next match was at a new venue, the Vila da Luz in Praia da Luz. Owing to the heat and lack of shade, the game was split up into two sets of nine ends. Wedmore ended with two rinks won, one drawn and four lost.
You may also want to watch:
The third match was at Amendoeira, another new grass venue. Wedmore had a better result here, winning three of the seven matches.
The final match was at Parque da Floresta, another carpet green. Despite all the games being closely fought, Wedmore only managed to win one game and drew one.
- 1 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 2 Banwell traffic will soon be 'a thing of the past'
- 3 May 17: Which pubs are reopening across Weston?
- 4 May 17: Village café and sustainable shop to reopen
- 5 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 6 Weston project transforming household waste into planters to attract wildlife
- 7 Huge six-bedroom house with flat on Weston seafront
- 8 Council urges people to respect open spaces after rise in littering and vandalism
- 9 Weston shopfront restored to its former glory
- 10 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
Despite few successes on the bowls green, the matches were closer this year and the tour was much enjoyed. Thanks go to Clive and Jean Wheller for all their efforts to ensure the smooth running of the trip.