Wedmore on tour
Isle of Wedmore Bowls Club enjoyed a successful trip to the Algarve for its latest bowls tour.
ISLE of Wedmore Bowls Club members made a welcome return to the Algarve for its bowls tour.
Twenty-seven members left Bristol for Arma�ao de Pera, which proved to be a popular destination as Clevedon Promenade and Clarence Park were also touring in the area.
The first game was played at San Antonio in Alvor and as a new green had recently been laid, nets were laid on the green. In difficult conditions, Wedmore won on two rinks and lost five.
The next match was at a new venue, the Vila da Luz in Praia da Luz. Owing to the heat and lack of shade, the game was split up into two sets of nine ends. Wedmore ended with two rinks won, one drawn and four lost.
You may also want to watch:
The third match was at Amendoeira, another new grass venue. Wedmore had a better result here, winning three of the seven matches.
The final match was at Parque da Floresta, another carpet green. Despite all the games being closely fought, Wedmore only managed to win one game and drew one.
- 1 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
- 2 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 3 'Suspicious' fire damages caravan outside Weston home
- 4 Sharp rise in coronavirus cases in over 60s
- 5 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 6 Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with GBH in Weston
- 7 Appeal after brick thrown through window in Weston
- 8 Weston fundraiser donates hundreds to hospital for saving his life
- 9 Pubs running takeaway and collections during lockdown
- 10 Puxton Park to open trampoline park, gym and segway course
Despite few successes on the bowls green, the matches were closer this year and the tour was much enjoyed. Thanks go to Clive and Jean Wheller for all their efforts to ensure the smooth running of the trip.