Westend make it to the quarters

WITH a quarter-final place in the Somerset Cup at stake, Westend welcomed Stogursey from the Taunton League.

Westend 3 Stogursey 1

WITH a quarter-final place in the Somerset Cup at stake, Westend welcomed Stogursey from the Taunton League.

Matt Peters started a good move after feeding Dave White down the left, who in turn squared to Mike Smith in the box, but his shot was tipped wide by the keeper.

The opening goal was scored after Steve Jones tackled in the centre circle and ran unchallenged into the box before scoring.

You may also want to watch:

Ross Killcoyne dictated play in the centre, first finding Kevin Bale on the right and combining with Bianca Jones to create an opening for Smith, who won a corner.

Smith took the resulting corner and played a one-two with White before beating a defender and squaring for Adam Barnett to smash home.

Most Read

Stogursey has little response and found it difficult to get the better of Tony Wilmott and Rich Wearing in defence.

In the second half, Killcoyne won a penalty after bursting into the box, and after Smith saw his kick saved, White was quick to pick up the rebound and cross to Smith, who headed in.

Stogursey had a lifeline via a penalty in the final moments of the game, keeper Mark Rawlins unable to keep it out.

Man of the match went to Mike Smith for an excellent performance.

Weston St Johns Sports Bar 0

Axbridge Town 0

(St Johns won 4-2 on pens aet)

ATWELL Shield holders Sports Bar eased through to the last 16 of the Atwell Shield, despite fielding a side decimated by unavailability.

Goalkeeper Flynn was bold and dealt comfortably on the rare occasion that a well shackled Axbridge broke through a dominant back line.

Inspirational captain Sprague drove the side on from the midfield and the forward line of Page and veteran Neilson gave the visiting keeper a torrid afternoon.

For the Bar, goalkeeper Flynn, Robert Tyson, Daniel Sprague and Luke Page were all successful from the spot.

The returning Robert Tyson gave an inspiring performance and walked away with the Edge Barbers sponsored man of the match accolade.

On Saturday, Sports Bar face a tough task when they host South Cheriton United (who boast a 100 per cent record in the Blackmore Vale League) in the last 16 of the Somerset Junior Cup.

Kick-off (in a match sponsored by Capille & Co Building Solutions) is at 2pm.

Locking Park 1

Kewstoke Lions 5

KEWSTOKE had to work hard against good opposition and strong wind to progress into the next round of the Atwell Shield.

Alex Chatterley smashed in the opening goal after a great long pass by Aaron Bray and then Ben Popperwell doubled the lead.

Conditions became worse in the second half making passing difficult and Locking battled hard and were rewarded with a goal. Kewstoke responded through Ryan Fieldhouse, who finished well from the edge of the box.

Fieldhouse was a constant menace to Locking and his running and commitment saw Popperwell and Chatterley both add their second goals and comfortably seal victory.

Man of the match went to Ryan Fieldhouse.

Westland Utd Reserves 4

Churchill Reserves 6

WESTLAND looked to build on last week’s victory over Nailsea Utd with a tough home game against Churchill.

Tasked with saving United’s season, Neil Keeling had been drafted in as manager for the final seven games to guide the team away from its relegation woes.

United went behind in the first minute of the match, but responded almost immediately when captain Nick Crocker was fouled in the box for a penalty that Adam Haysom converted.

Churchill again took the lead, but striker Matthew Bazell volleyed home a second equaliser for the home side. Just before the break, a defensive howler allowed a Churchill striker to regain the lead.

Westland started the second period sloppily and two quick goals gave Churchill a commanding lead. The home side found themselves back in a crazy game through a long range effort for Bazell’s second and Nick Crocker’s second goal in consecutive weeks.

Westland pressed for their third equaliser and had several half chances, the best falling to Haysom, but couldn’t break a determined Churchill defence. A Churchill counter attack was converted in the dying moments to finish the game off.

This week’s Formula 1st man of the match went to Barry Flynn.

Worle Rangers 1

St George EIG 4

AFTER two narrow defeats against the league leaders, Rangers were looking forward to another tough game against St George with second place still up for grabs.

However, the effort and determination shown in previous games was missing from this performance and Rangers were fortunate to get through the opening half an hour without conceding.

Their luck didn’t last and St George scored a deserved goal just before the break as Rangers failed to clear their lines.

After conceding a second goal early after the re-start, Rangers never looked in the game. The introduction of Chris Brinson and Jo Dale initially sparked some life into the team, but this was short-lived as Rangers were reduced to 10-men after captain Matt Wilson was shown a red card.

Rangers folded, conceding a third after a free kick wall parted and although Adam Brown scored a neat goal on the break after being put through by Dale, Rangers soon conceded a fourth.

The Curry Garden man of the match went to John Imrie.

Weston Players 3

Nailsea AFC Res 2

PLAYERS went into this Division 6 encounter knowing a win would make the league title all but won.

The returning Rich Skinner drilled an early shot wide and Joel Page saw his effort saved. Tom Bush and Jim Owen were causing problems for the Nailsea defence with their movement, but it was Page who put Players in front, Kev Ballantine curling a cross for Page to head home.

Players stepped off the gas and a defensive mix up allowed Nailsea back into the game on the half hour mark and the sides went in at half-time all square.

After the break, a long ball saw the Nailsea centre forward lift his shot over the exposed Dan Owen in goal. Players clawed their way back into the game with Ballantine hitting the post and Owen going close before he levelled from the spot, after Page was impeded.

Superb defending from Prior, White and Ashmore with Skinner just in front kept things tight at the back, giving Players a platform to build on as they pushed for the victory. They duly got the winner in the 84th minute, Page sliding in Ballantine who squared the ball for Bush to slot home.

There were excellent performances from Page, Ballantine and Ashmore, but it was Skinner who walked away with the Brean Angling man of the match award.


Davis Shield semi-final: St George (E-i-G) A 8, Axbridge Town Res 2.

Atwell Shield round 1: Weston St Johns Sports Bar 0, Axbridge Town 0 (4-2 on pens).

Atwell Shield round 2: Congresbury Res 5, Bournville Rovers 0; Locking Park 1, Kewstoke Lions 5; Portishead Town A 3 Burnham Utd 3 (5-2 on pens).

Knockout Cup round 1: Berrow Res 4, South Park Rangers 0; Nailsea Utd A 0, Selkirk Utd 3.

Vardon Cup round 1: Tickenham Utd 3, Winscombe A 2.

Vardon Cup quarter-final: King Alfred Sports Centre 0, Cheddar A 2.

Division 1: Cleeve West Town Res 0, East Worle 1; Draycott 0, Hutton 1.

Division 2: Nailsea Utd B 3, Winscombe Res 3; Portishead WMC 1, St George (E-i-G) Res 7; Westland Utd Res 4, Churchill Club 70 Res 6.

Division 3: Clevedon Dons 3, Yatton Ath Res 0; Kewstoke Lions Res 0, Portishead Town B 8; Worle Res 0, Wedmore 1.

Division 4: Shipham 1, Clevedon Utd A 2; Wrington Redhill Res 0, Nailsea Utd Colts 5.

Division 5: Dolphin Ath 0, Weston Super Seagulls 3; Selkirk Utd Res 4, Banwell Res 1.

Division 6: Wedmore Res 1, Shipham Res 0; Weston Players 3, AFC Nailsea Res 2; Worle Rangers 1, St George (E-i-G) B 4; Yatton Ath A 3, KVFC 3.


Davis Shield semi-final: Winscombe A v Clevedon Utd A (A Locker).

Atwell Shield round 2: Cheddar A v St George (E-i-G) Res (D Phillips); Nailsea Utd A v East Worle (S Clarke).

Knockout Cup preliminary round: Nailsea Town Res v Burnham Utd A (J Cooper).

Knockout Cup round 1: Churchill Club 70 Res v Banwell Res (I Madge); Locking Park v Weston St Johns Res (J Geer).

Challenge Cup quarter-finals: Cleeve West Town A v Berrow Res (J Billinghurst); Worle Res v Portishead Town B (J Skinner); Yatton Ath Res v Clevedon Dons (T Billinghurst).

Vardon Cup quarter-finals: Hutton Res v Westend (M Sprague); Nailsea Utd Colts v Tickenham Utd (H Hendricks).

Division 1: Cleeve West Town Res v Selkirk Utd (M Smith); Clevedon Utd Res v Hutton (N Wakley); Portishead Town A v Draycott (B Carter).

Division 2: Bournville Rovers v Nailsea Utd B (S Davies); Westland Utd Res v Portishead WMC (M Gavin).

Division 3: Wedmore v Kewstoke Lions Res (S Cahill).

Division 4: King Alfred Sports Centre v Shipham (D Pinnock).

Division 5: Dolphin Ath v AFC Nailsea (W Dancer); East Worle Res v Selkirk Utd Res (J Newbury); Portishead Town Colts v Sporting Weston (C Kirby); St George (E-i-G) A v Draycott Res (K Summers); South Park Rangers v Weston Super Seagulls (T Newbury).

Division 6: Axbridge Town Res v Weston Players (A Murphy); AFC Nailsea Res v St George (E-i-G) B (S Acton); KVFC v Wedmore Res (A Tremlett); Yatton Ath A v Worle Rangers (T Nicholls).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus