Westlands march into last 16

Westland United defeat Weston St Johns 3-1 to reach the last 16 of the Somerset County Cup.

Weston St Johns 1

Westland United 3

WESTLAND United went into this cup tie against high-flying St Johns on the back of their first back-to-back wins of the season.

It was the team from the higher league which took control from the start as a sloppy kick off resulted in St Johns taking a first minute lead. Good work by James Bennellick and Matt Huxtable resulted in Calum McManus scoring.

You may also want to watch:

Westland gradually got their passing game going and took control of the game. After working hard to win the ball back, Westland scored with a clinical finish on the turn from Simon Willis.

It was all Westland’s for the remainder of the half and they took the lead with a cool finish from the edge of the box from Rich Lloyd, after good work from captain Alex Read.

Most Read

The second half started with St Johns showing signs of coming back into the game, with chances for Ryan Hodrien and Ryan Hawkins, but once again the work rate and attitude of Westland paid off and they were rewarded with a third goal and a second of the game from the lively Willis.

A late long-range effort by Hawkins came back off the Westland post, but Westland held on to victory in this fine display.

Westland would like to thank St Johns for their efforts and co-operation in switching the venue of the tie, due to Westland’s pitch being waterlogged.

Man of the match for Westland went to Peter Churchill, while Dave Wilcox was awarded the Mike Whittaker Building player of the match for St Johns.

On Saturday, Westland return to the league with another local derby away to Worle (2pm).

Watchet Town 1

Langford Rovers 2

ROVERS cruised into the last 16 of the Somerset Senior Cup with a solid away win at Watchet, extending their unbeaten run into double figures.

Starting brightly, the home side put pressure on Rovers with two sprightly centre forwards, but Rovers held firm and began to excert pressure themselves.

Ryan Havard and Levi Marlow were proving a handful and the former opened the scoring with a deft lob from a Marlow flick on. Havard had the opportunity to make it two minutes later, but shot over.

With Joe Ellis and Leigh White controlling the midfield against Watchet’s middle three, Langford continued to press. James Marshall had an effort blocked before Marlow added his 14th in 14 games with a header from an Olly Bliss corner.

The second period saw Watchet press numbers forward, but Adi Marshman, Marshall, Matt Vann and Mark Brown stood firm with some resolute defending.

Marshall shot narrowly wide from a free kick at the other end, Grant Giles went close and Havard should have netted his second. Keeper Jamie Crandon was forced to make two smart saves and dominated his area to nullify Watchet’s attacks until a cross was deflected in off Stuart Morse to set up a tense finish.

Crandon held firm with the rest of the team to see safe passage through to the last 16.

Rovers are back in league action on Saturday, entertaining Clevedon United.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus