Weston athletes take on half marathons and a triathlon
- Credit: Archant
Weston Athletic Club runners enjoyed a busy weekend, with members taking part in two half marathons and a triathlon.
IT WAS a busy weekend for Weston Athletic Club members, who took on two half marathons and a triathlon.
Most members opted for the Burnham Half Marathon, which offers a fast flat course, mostly along country lanes. Conditions were perfect with a cool autumnal morning and little wind.
First Weston runner to complete the 13.1 mile route was Simon Lund in 1.26.11 and 12th overall. Tony Hogg took second spot in 1.28.32 and Kie Booth third in 1.29.25.
Phil Richards was the club’s first female to finish in 1.33.57. Rachel Smith took second in 1.48.17 and Georgie Ford third in 1.53.24. Paul Snelling finished second in his age category in 1.36.55.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile in Cardiff, Steve Kibblewhite was the first club member to finish in 1.28.28, followed by Marc Bostock in 1.29.59 and Wilf Huxtable in 1.31.39. Helen and Stuart Diamond also earned themselves new personal bests in 1.56.38 and 1.33.21 respectively.
Triathlon is clearly growing in popularity among club members, and both old-timers and first-timers from the club took on The Last Tri in Lydney. The race featured a 400m pool swim, 14 miles on a challenging hilly bike route, and was rounded off with a 3.4 mile run.
- 1 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 2 Football association charges club and players following investigation after abandoned match
- 3 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 4 Weston General Hospital increases patient-to-nurse ratio due to rising coronavirus patient numbers
- 5 North Somerset could be placed in higher tier after national lockdown ends
- 6 County council chairman urged to resign over 'slip of the tongue' comment about gypsies
- 7 Weston Town Council pledges to be an anti-racist authority
- 8 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
- 9 Two charged with burglary and fraud
- 10 Local Plan proposals for development in North Somerset
Simon Andrews was the first club male to finish in 1.23.47, followed by Nick Cook in 1.32.45 and Mark Gray in 1.45.56. Vanessa Andrews was first female to finish in 1.48.24, followed by Kirstie Mangham in 1.57.45 and Sara Butcher in 2.26.29. Belinda Dachtler, Chris Edwards and Mary Oaten completed the event as a relay team in 1.40.40.
Closer to home, Simon Williams and Rob Withers took on Weston Sprint Triathlon which started with a 500m swim in Marine Lake, followed by a 20km bike ride and a 5km run. Simon completed the course in 1.22.24 closely followed by Rob in 1.23.08.
Results are also in for the club members who have travelled far and wide to tackle various marathons. John Hinchliffe and Gareth Weaver travelled to Berlin and finished the 26.2 mile course in 3.40.14 and 3.56.29 respectively. Sara Weaver opted to tackle the course on skates and finished in 2.11.13.
Michael Reep and Caroline Holt competed in the Nottingham marathon and crossed the line in 3.29.41 and 5.07.44 respectively, while Mary Nutley earned a new marathon personal best at the Loch Ness marathon in 4.19.00.