Weston athletes take on the Exmoor Stagger
- Credit: Archant
A hardy bunch of Weston Athletic Club runners took on the 16-mile Exmoor Stagger.
A HARDY bunch of runners from Weston Athletic Club took on the Exmoor Stagger, which is a brutal 16-mile off-road race featuring over 3,500 feet of climb from Minehead to Exmoor’s highest point at Dunkery Beacon and back again.
Matt Wheeler was the first club male to finish in an impressive 2.24.12, and Phil Richards was the first woman from the club to cross the line in 2.37.42. Tony Hogg took second club place in 2.28.24, and Andy Chadburn was third in 2.43.40.
Mary Nutley was the club’s second female to finish in 3.37.15 and Vanessa Andrews took third spot in 3.42.54. John Hinchliffe was third to finish in his age category in 2.50.17.
Meanwhile, in Oxfordshire, a team of men from the club faced 26.2 miles of road running at the Abingdon Marathon. The course is predominantly flat, through the town and several villages, and follows part of the River Thames.
You may also want to watch:
Nick Briffitt finished first for the club, sub three hours in 2.55.05 and 34th overall. Marc Bostock completed the course in 3.55.02 and Adrian Marshall in 4.46.53.
The club’s next races are the one-mile junior prom run and five-mile main prom run on Weston’s seafront on October 30. The junior race starts at 6.45pm followed by the main race at 7.30pm.
- 1 Man charged with rape and sexual assaults
- 2 Former Weston loanee Waite confirms Cardiff City departure
- 3 May 17: Restaurants reopen indoors and soft play areas welcome youngsters
- 4 Man suffers head injuries in Weston robbery
- 5 May 17: Backwell pool reopens after £400k works
- 6 Rapid Covid testing service goes mobile to reach more people across North Somerset
- 7 Newspapers often enjoyed grand town centre premises as befitted the self-important Fourth Estate.
- 8 Mini tornado does damage in Weston
- 9 Potter hails 'invaluable' Cheddar experience will help at Wells City
- 10 What can I do when Covid lockdown eases on May 17?
Runners can enter on the night before the race at the Pavilion Bar on Knightstone Road, or online for the whole race series at www.westonac.co.uk