Weston back to winning ways with fine display
- Credit: Archant
Weston returned to winning ways with a much-needed victory at Ashcott & Shapwick.
WESTON travelled to Ashcott & Shapwick in search of a much-needed win and came away with victory, thanks to an excellent all-round bowling display.
Ashcott won the toss and batted first and were immediately regretting this as Charl Willoughby (4-26) and Tom Main (2-23) picked up early wickets as four of the top five fell for single figures.
Chris Davidson and Ashley Allen both bowled tight spells picking up a wicket apiece, with Sam Trego chipping in with two at the death. Ashcott finishing with 132, though this should have been less as a few catches were dropped, in what otherwise was an excellent display from Weston.
On a quickly deteriorating wicket, Weston got off to the worst possible start with an unplayable delivery accounting for Trego lbw in the first over. John Williams joined Jason Neave and the pair set about seeing off the new ball.
You may also want to watch:
Neave was eventually bowled bringing John Davidson to the crease. A five over counter attack saw Weston score 35 runs and the target reduced to less than 50.
However, some loose shots saw a middle order wobble and left a tense finish, before it was left to Jon Weber and Allen to score the final few runs.
- 1 Grand Pier's future uncertain as Weston enters tier 3
- 2 MPs brand placing North Somerset into tier 3 restrictions 'not right' and 'illogical'
- 3 North Somerset to move into tier 3 after end of nationwide lockdown
- 4 Weston-super-Mare duo sentenced for drug offences
- 5 Weston homeless charity announces new location to help vulnerable people during winter
- 6 Coronavirus cases in North Somerset at highest ever daily rate
- 7 North Somerset online choir to bring Christmas cheer
- 8 Businessman launches two-in-one facemasks in support of MIND charity
- 9 Mike Fletcher: Former Weston Cricket and Rugby legend passes away
- 10 Hundreds of children told to isolate after eight schools confirm coronavirus cases
IntouchCRM man of the match was shared between Willloughby for a devastating spell of bowling and Williams for his excellent 54.
ASHCOTT & SHAPWICK
W Rudge c Trego b Main 0
B Rudge lbw Willoughby 4
S Coppell c Fletcher b Allen 23
G Harte b Willoughby 1
C Vickery b Willoughby 1
N Karmarka b C Davidson 21
W Spencer lbw Willoughby 6
S Edmunds b Main 14
J Hayman c Willoughby b Trego 32
S Spencer lbw Trego 2
J Haggett not out 1
Bowling: C Willoughby 10-4-26-4; T Main 9-2-23-2; A Allen 10-1-25-1; C Davidson 5-1-20-1; S Trego 4.5-0-30-2.
S Trego lbw Hayman 0
J Neave b Harte 7
J Williams lbw Haggett 54
J Davidson c W Spencer b S Spencer 19
C Davidson c Haggett b Rudge 3
G Morgan c Vickery b Rudge 5
J Weber not out 11
C Fletcher b Rudge 4
A Allen not out 16
Total (7 wkts) 133